What Marching Band Has Left Me With

What Marching Band Has Left Me With

A reflection from a former band geek

60
What Marching Band Has Left Me With
Parry McCluer High School

OK, let's be real for a second: marching band, or maybe even band in general, was perhaps at the top of the list of things that received the "lame" reputation when you were in high school. The older you got, the less "cool" or "fun" it became and then you quit, which is most of you who are reading this did. (No worries, there are no hard feelings here.) It's definitely not a cool "sport" (although I think otherwise -- have you ever tried to do some of that high marching while playing?). You most likely wished you were hanging out with your friends, enjoying the football game under the Friday night lights, rather than playing some stands tunes and a halftime show that only a third of the crowd watched anyway (majority of that third being all the parents of the people in the band and former band members). And that was just marching band -- concert band was the second half of the battle (no sports pun intended). However, reflecting back on the four years of playing trumpet in high school along with marching one year in college, I can honestly say doing marching band will be at the top of the list of some of the most memorable things I've ever done. Marching band has left me with some things.

One, there are plenty of times I find myself reliving the "glory days." I can't go anywhere where a song is being played and not want to direct it or march in time to it. I can't tell you how frustrating this is. You want to add some sort of drum major directing pattern or march around the room, searching for ways how that particular song can incorporated into a marching show. It's this constant struggle that eventually leaves people looking at you and questioning your sanity. It's fun, though, and you can't help but participate. My favorite are the times you walk around trying to construct some "off the chain" drum cadence that you know would blow people away if you played it on a drumline.

Two, anytime I hear a song I really like, I instantly start thinking how this could written out into band music. Sometimes this obsession goes so far to the point where I downloaded the infamous music-writing app Finale and begin to attempt to write it out to give to my band teacher who no longer is my band teacher anymore.

Last but not least, the change of life that occurred while in marching band will forever be leaving me thankful. I'm thankful for the life lessons that I learned, both through the experiences I received but also from the lessons from the teachers -- no, mentors -- that I was privileged to have. I'm thankful for the academic lessons I learned in band (yes, that is possible). The friends, and in some cases family, that I made are relationships that I'll cherish in my life for a lifetime. The times that I spent with these people, whether it be on some school bus at the end of November, traveling to the location our football team would be playing their playoff game at that night, or enjoying the mud party that was during a rainy college football bowl weekend in Louisiana, will be ones that I keep close and will continue to keep close to my heart for a long time to come. And what about the person that you became through marching band? As did baseball and many other extracurricular activities, marching band taught some valuable things that I apply to my life on a daily basis. Perhaps the biggest thing, though, would be what it means to commit to something and follow through with that commitment, even in the times where it became too easy to quit.

All of that to say, sure, marching band wasn't the coolest thing to do. "Risking" five years of "popularity" was a big step to take as teenager. Band even presented some challenges at times. Now that it's all over, though, I'm left thinking,

I will always be glad I did marching band.