She's More Than A Pet To Me, She's My Companion

When I needed a hand, I found a paw, and that is the best blessing that I ever could have received.

164
@manny_the_frenchie

In the dictionary, the word 'dog' can be described as this: a domesticated carnivorous mammal that typically has a long snout, an acute sense of smell, and a barking, howling, or whining voice. It is widely kept as a pet or for work or field sports. However, the real meaning behind that is "a man's best friend."

People get pets for multiple reasons and some actually stick with their promises to be loyal and faithful owners. I would know because I am one to my beloved Queen Cleopatra.

I know this may seem silly to write about but honestly, I do not care. I want everyone to know how much I truly love my dog and why she means so much to me.

Originally, I had Cleopatra's brother whom I named James Buchanan Barnes or Bucky for short after one of my favorite Marvel characters, (my mom and I rescued them from being bait/fight dogs because the owner was just letting them go free at a gas station.) Though Bucky was a rambunctious thing who chewed on literally everything and was always getting into something, I still loved him.

However, this past summer he got out the house at night and sadly, someone hit him with their car. It was heartbreaking, and for a moment my whole world just stopped. I felt like the worst dog mom in the world and told myself that I did not want another dog after him. But a few weeks later my mom told me that I could have his sister, Cleopatra, because she could tell I needed her more than she did.

Cleopatra became my dog at just the right time and I vowed that I would treat her like the queen she is.

I was going through a lot mentally and stress over school and life. There were times where I would have breakdowns and she would just let me hold her, lay there while sometimes I cried because my anxiety would become too much to handle. That is when my doctor let me register her as my ESA. An ESA is an acronym for Emotional Support Animal. For those of you who do not know what that is, an emotional support animal (ESA) is a companion animal that a medical professional has determined provides benefit for an individual with a disability.

A lot of people make a huge deal over that getting an animal registered as an ESA is just an excuse for most to not have to pay pet fees. However, that might be the case for some people out there, I know for me and several others that it is more than that. It means having a living being, a companion who would be there for you on your good days and bad.

Cleopatra has been my rock this past year, she kept me from being lonely, she always made me smile when she would get all playful, and she showed me a deeper love that I did not know was possible.

A dog is the only thing on this Earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

I spoil Cleo in as many ways that I can, I have her all decked out in all pink, though she has a dog bed she rarely lays on it because she likes to sleep on the chair or on my bed, and she even eats better than I do! When it comes to Cleo, her needs come before my own because, in a sense, she is my child. I am pretty sure I annoy her with how many pictures and videos I take of her on a daily basis because I don't want to ever forget the little moments.

In a way, Cleo has taught me some valuable life lessons. She's taught me to take a moment and appreciate being outside and loving nature, she's made me realize that everything will be okay and that I need to be thankful for what I do have and she has also taught me a great deal of responsibility, humility, and an overwhelming sense of compassion.

Cleopatra is my baby, my best girl.

Though she may make me frustrated when she refuses to eat her food in the bathroom and would rather bring the bowl into my room and dump it all over the place or when she continuously barks at her reflection in the middle of the night; at the end of the day I hate leaving her alone and I always ask my friends if she knows just how much i love her. I would not trade her for anything in this world and pray everyday that I take the best care of her and that nothing will happen to her. When I needed a hand, I found a paw; and that is the best blessing that I ever could have received.