Will Manny Machado Be Traded Going Into His Free Agency Year?

Manny Machado might be traded this year for the Orioles to gain prospects.

146
Wikimedia

Manny Machado is currently a third baseman for the Baltimore Orioles. Machado is one of the top third basemen in the league and widely regarded as the best fielding, most rangy third basemen behind only Nolan Arenado.

The Baltimore Orioles have recently been a team that has been right there making a push for a wild-card spot but never really able to get over the hump. With the big talent of Machado, Adam Jones, Chris Davis, and closer Zach Britton, they have a solid team that can score some runs.

However, with Britton being out at least six months with a ruptured right Achilles tendon, and both the Red Sox and Yankees looking like a potential American League Championship matchup, the Orioles may be realizing their chances of doing what they would like to do are out the window for the 2018 season.

This is also Machado’s last year before becoming a free agent. If the Orioles think they will lose Machado in free agency next year, they might just think to trade him this year and at least get prospects for him.

As I previously mentioned, Machado is a third baseman, but he has voiced his interest in playing shortstop. We have seen this before when J.J Hardy has been injured. Machado has a lot of range and has played the shortstop position very well.

This has become another big name potentially moving this off-season. Teams love Machado’s talent, but they see the downside that is an upside for the Orioles. Machado has only one year before becoming a free agent, so why would they trade a lot of talented prospects to get him if they could just wait a year to get him with no cost of losing prospects.

Machado, free agent year or not, could be a huge difference maker for a team on the brink of making the playoffs or a push for a wild card position.

Teams that have been mentioned as potentially interested customers are the Chicago White Sox and the New York Yankees. Both teams with a lot of talented prospects that could interest the Baltimore Orioles.

Will the Orioles trade with AL East foe New York Yankees? Will Machado stay put for his final year before free agency in Baltimore? It is unknown right now but could be an interesting storyline to come if someone wants to try out Machado at shortstop for a year.