We-set-unrealistic-expectations-about-love
relationships

We Keep Making Unrealistic Expectations About Relationships, And That Has To Stop

Love is not how it is portrayed in the movies - we need to understand that love is complicated and that is okay.

161
https://unsplash.com/photos/bNnyxWDh1Vc

I feel like I like to write a lot about love and relationships and there is a huge reason for that. I am probably part of a group that has different views on what a relationship should be and how you should handle it. The current topic seems that those who are hopeless romantics like to jump head first into relationships. This is not always a good thing because those who give the most are the ones who feel the most when the relationship goes through difficult moments.

I do understand that this generation is very passionate when it comes to relationships and asking someone to stay with someone for a long time is very crazy. This is a generation that is very adventurous and very comfortable with their sexuality and people who are comfortable with meeting new people and exploring are the most who are dreamers.

I have a friend who feels like he cannot move forward in his relationship because he feels like he is emotionally unavailable. I've personally never experienced this but I am sure it can be compared to having writer's block. But from a relationship standpoint, it may be that these individuals are just scared of giving themselves to another person and they end up being broken hearted.

I often ask myself why do relationships not last in this generation, and from personal experience, a lot of answers come to mind. The first that we get tired of each other very quickly, we often tend to fantasize of the times where we would talk on the phone with the person we have a crush on. Also, we wish we had someone who could write us love letters and come to our window to profess their love for us.

What we don't seem to understand is that these times have passed and the expectations that we set for our relationships are most of the times unachievable. Us trying to find someone who wants the same things we want is something that is not realistic. In this generation, both sexes have different expectations of what relationships should be.

The girls want relationships to always be pink and roses, they want the guy to fly them to the moon and go above and beyond, while the guys don't understand this and they just want to have a good time and keep it casual. There is no compromise and this is what is killing the relationships and why divorce rates are through the roof. We are getting married so early and the first sign of discomfort we immediately run to a divorce.

I believe if you really want to be with someone you will do whatever it takes to make it work and do whatever it takes to make them happy. We are becoming too comfortable in when feeling uneasy we run away, rather than fighting for what we want. So, if you are in a relationship think about what is really going on, talking to your partner and make compromises. Relationships are not how they are portrayed in the movies and in the book, in fact, they are much better because it's you who is experiencing the magic.