Making The Most Of College

Making The Most Of College

Always focus on the good vibes - and in Charleston, that's easy.
9

If you know me personally, you’ve probably heard me say this a million times — my life is crazy and so much has changed all at once. I feel like the theme of everything I write is: it’ll be fine, things get better and life is crazy. I believe in trying to make the best of where you are. Whether “where you are” is referring to your state of mind or the actual state or city you’re living in, either one applies.

During my first semester at the College of Charleston, I learned not everyone tries to make the best of their situation. I’m so fortunate to live in a happy city which I love. I'm thankful that the college I chose was the perfect place for me. Some people don’t like The College. It’s either that the south is not for them, they want to transfer to a larger school, they’re too far from home or they just don’t want to live in the city. I understand the college someone chooses might not always be the place they need to be or the place they’ll be the happiest. During freshmen year, everyone is trying to find the right group of friends, pass the first semester of classes and figure all this “adulting” sh*t out. I don’t blame people who do not like the place they’re in right now, but I do believe your attitude about the situation makes all the difference.

I felt such a warm welcome from The College when I first arrived— I felt like my professors genuinely cared about me, my classes weren’t in giant lecture halls full of 200 students (all my first semester classes had around 30 people) and all of my advisers, RAs and peers were always there for me when I needed someone to talk to or someone to listen to me while I was adjusting to my first semester. I sincerely felt like everyone cared about me when I was having a hard time, and I felt personal connections to most people I met whether they were faculty or students. Before college, I always heard horrible stories about professors being really rude to students or not caring about getting to know their students on a personal level. My experience has been completely different, and I have never felt so much love from teachers who hardly know me. I believe people really care here and when people hate on The College it makes me really sad because this is the place for me. It makes me upset because I didn’t have a perfect first semester, but I wanted to make the best out of my time.

Sh*t happens — people are mean, you fail a test or miss an assignment, you stay out too late or just don’t do what you’re supposed to do all the time. In the grand scheme of things, life is very short so enjoy your time right now even when everything doesn’t go the way you thought it would. I think Charleston is a good-vibes-city in general — whether you’re going out at night or taking a stroll to the Battery after classes. I’m really happy here, and when things don’t go my way, I’m still going to be right here in Charleston living it up and making the best of where I am.