How To Make Your Own Deodorant

How To Make Your Own Deodorant

Worried about using chemical-laden commercial deodorant? Don't sweat it; make your own instead

9
How To Make Your Own Deodorant
The Hippy Homemaker

If you’re like 98 percent of people, according to smithsonianmag.com, your sweat stinks -- and the only way to mask it is by wearing antiperspirant or deodorant daily. Commercial deodorant gets the job done, but it’s also laden with chemicals, fragrances, and other artificial ingredients that might not be your speed (stick). Maybe your skin is sensitive to store-bought deodorant formulas. Or maybe you're concerned about research examining a possible link between deodorant use and breast cancer.

However, there’s a way to control both your sweat AND what goes on your skin by making your own deodorant. For all-natural underarm protection, try this easy DIY recipe using:

• 6 tablespoons coconut oil (forms the base, good for your skin, and has a natural scent)
  • ¼ cup baking soda (a natural deodorant)
  • ¼ cup cornstarch (helps absorb moisture)
  • Essential oils, such as jasmine or lavender (used to provide a real, flowery scent)

A few things to note…

Keep in mind that coconut oil is a liquid above 76 degrees Fahrenheit, and a solid below about 76 -- so, depending on the temperature, you may need to melt it when making the deodorant. You might also need to reapply this deodorant in hot weather, and expect a little clumping in cold weather.

Don’t use any ingredient you are sensitive or allergic to. Some people may get a rash from using baking soda, or may have bad reactions to certain essential oils. Be sure to use oils only as directed; pure ones are highly concentrated, and several drops should be plenty.

Here’s what to do:

1. Make sure the coconut oil is melted until thin; you can heat it in the microwave or on a stovetop.

2. Mix cornstarch and baking soda together. Add coconut oil and stir until well mixed.

3. Add essential oils (optional).

4. Store in a jar or an empty deodorant container.

That's all!