12 Lifesaving Skills I Learned After Surviving Rush Week At LSU

Rush week is a lot more than glitter and hairspray.

3434
Avery Bracken

With recruitment week quickly approaching, I thought I would share what I learned from that chaotic week. I realize that Greek life is not for everyone, but the process of rush offers so many valuable experiences to learn about yourself and your school. Even if you don't end up pledging a sorority there will be so much to gain from recruitment. After surviving this week, I felt stronger as a person and more confident in my abilities. Here are the 12 life-saving skills I learned after surviving rush week at LSU!

1. Don’t freak out when people get in your space

The first round of recruitment is always the most intimidating. When you enter a random sorority house of girls smiling and cheering in your face, it is hard to keep your cool, especially in the Louisiana humidity. After five days of this, people in your personal space becomes something you’re used to. Even in a professional environment, you will come across people that are over animated and unaware of personal boundaries. This experience you gain during rush week will definitely help you out.

2.Conversational skills

Recruitment is all about making connections with complete strangers. You have fifteen minutes to impress someone. You might be paired with someone who might not be able to carry on a conversation or have no connections with. These countless conversations serve as perfect practice for future job interviews or professional encounters.

3. Not everybody is going to love you

Do not take it personally when you do not get invited back to a certain sorority. Being cut is just a part of the process that helps you end up where you need to be. Being from out of state, I didn’t know anyone going through rush. It felt like the odd man out, not having any ties at LSU. At the time, it seemed like everybody grew up with each other. I just learned that some groups want to get to know you and some do not and I didn’t take it personally. In adult life, you do not have to please everyone. Everyone does not have to like you. In the end, you should just focus on your own happiness.

4. Composure

During recruitment, you might be tired, annoyed and maybe scared, but if you make it through the entire week, your patience will pay off. Throughout your entire life, things will be thrown at you. Whether it is your professors, bosses, parents it will happen. You can either explode at every little thing, or you can maintain composure.

5. Fake it till you make it

Rush week is nothing but five days of pure uncertainty. The girls who are rushing you are just as nervous as you are. Not everyone is a professional at what they’re doing, and neither are you! Putting on a smile and a good attitude will take you far in recruitment and in life. In graduate school or at a new job, showing confidence and positivity will really help you out.

6. Self-care is important!

By the end of this week, you are going to be exhausted and tired of people (or at least I was). You definitely deserve to treat yourself! One of my favorite memories from recruitment is going with a group of my friends to Chimes. We ordered almost every single appetizer on the menu and had a feast! So, take a bath, eat your favorite food, do what you like. It may not seem like it, but this is very important in life. You need to know when you need to take a break and have some time to yourself, and you need to know how to do this.

7. Remember to laugh

This is not a life or death situation. This process is supposed to be fun! Some people take it so seriously, but you need to remember that this is how you are supposed to be making friends. Enjoy the process and get to know the people around you. Although you may not think it’s funny as you are running up and down West Lakeshore Drive, try to stay positive. As you transition into adulthood, you will have obstacles. Instead of stressing out, try to laugh! One of my favorite quotes about this is, “If you learn to laugh at your troubles you never have to run from them.”

8. Recovery

Things might not go the way that you plan during rush week. This is where you take a deep breath, reevaluate, and keep going. Learning to recover will definitely help in the long run. Life almost never works out the way that you want it to. If you figure out how to recover during this week, it will be easy as an adult.

9. Stay true to yourself

Throughout this week, it will be hard to not get caught up in acting like the sorority-girl majority. Even though it sounds cliché, being yourself is the best thing you can do during rush and in adulthood. Staying true to yourself will help you stand out and benefit you in the end.

10. Enjoy the process

People tend to focus on the end of recruitment week; they just want to speed through and get the result. If you do this, you would miss out on so many good people and potential memories. So, pile up in the tiny Miller Hall rooms with your friends! Get cozy and get to know new people, because you will never have this week again. You can’t rush through life either. Focusing on the end and not enjoying the journey will get you nowhere.

11. The importance of being open minded

You do not need to go into this week focused on one sorority. Open your eyes and heart to what different groups have to offer. You should go where you’re comfortable, not where all your friends are going. In life, closing doors on opportunities will get you absolutely nowhere. Keeping your mind open to new experiences and people will make the most of your life!

12. Go with the flow

One should always try to look their best, but if something falls through at the last minute like the wrong toenail color or a sweat stain, because you are going to have those in Baton Rouge, keep moving forward. I promise it’s not the end of the world; just go with what you have and go with confidence. Life will throw so many things at you, but the important thing to do is to keep going. Roll with it and try to make the best of the situation!