How I Met My Best Friend While Crying In A Hallway
Friendships

A Low Point In Freshman Year Gave Me A Best Friend

Parents: Which one's Christine again?

Me: The one that found me crying in a hallway

Parents: Oh yeah! We like her!

98
Ronnie Schoen

The start of my second semester at Towson was not easy. I was sitting in class for 19 hours a week, one of my friends had received a (thankfully false) cancer diagnosis, and while rushing, I was dropped by every sorority but the one that was initially my least favorite. *Disclaimer, I joined that sorority and it turned out to be a great fit for me!*

It was midnight and my roommate was sleeping, so I went out into the hallway to call my friend Jacob. I felt like a fool, sobbing into my phone while people walked by, trying their best not to stare. A group of girls walked past me a second time, and one of them who I barely knew said, "Hey Ronnie, I also got dropped by my top sorority if you want to talk about it."

I looked up at Christine and said: "Yeah, I actually do!" I told Jacob I'd talk to him later and started talking to Christine about the rush process. One of the few sororities she had left was the one that I had left too! Our conversation shifted to things such as classes, what other schools we applied to, our exes, and friendships. She revealed that she wasn't feeling comfortable in her current friend group, and so I invited her to eat lunch with me and my friends.

We spent a good 2 to 3 hours in my dorm hallway, talking about anything and everything. Although I started the night in tears, I ended it smiling and laughing. What's funny was after seeing her Snapchat stories full of Chick-fil-a and "The Office," I told my roommate "I feel like I need to be best friends with this girl!" Well, now it was starting to look like this may come true!

Now Christine is one of my best friends, and I wouldn't want it any other way. She's the sweetest person I've ever met and is such a loyal and caring friend. I often wonder which of my friends are true friends, but ever since that night crying in the hallway, I've never doubted that Christine was anything but a true friend. After only 2 weeks of summer, she came to visit me and my family when we were on vacation near her, and although our communication throughout the summer was not as strong as it could've been, whenever we talked we picked up where we left off.

So when I hit that low, I got an angel in the form of Christine. Being dropped by every sorority but one really sucked at the time, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Along with the great sisters I got (especially my big and G-big!), I made a friendship that I'm pretty sure will last a lifetime. So when we're old and watching "The Bachelorette" wearing our Minion and Shrek slippers, I'll look back on the day we became friends and be thankful for that low point that turned out to be the best thing that could have happened.