Loving Myself Didn't Happen Overnight But It Was Worth The Work—And Wait

Once I found who I really was, that’s when my confidence poured in like a hurricane.

2192
Brianna Moran

Loving myself didn’t happen overnight.

It’s very easy to see an attractive girl and say, “Oh my God she’s perfect.”

Well, maybe she looks it but maybe her past was not an easy road. I can relate to that scenario. Many people come up to me and say, “Wow, you’re so confident,” or “Wow, I wish I had your body.” It reminds me of when I use to go up to other females and say the same thing. Loving myself did not happen overnight, it is a very long process to loving yourself. I’ve come across some people who say to me, “Wow, I wish I had your life.It’s so perfect.” Well, little do they know how long it took me to get this far.

Judging someone by their appearance does not do the person justice.

There’s so much more to a person than just their looks. There was a time in my life where I would see a girl and I just wanted to look like her so bad. I would try so hard to look just like other girls but I was ignoring all of my good qualities. I wasn’t looking at all the things I had to offer the world. I had such a closed mind of what beauty really was. In my younger teen years, I looked up to my sister who was blonde and skinny - which in my mind was “perfect” - so I wanted to dye my hair blonde and I wanted to lose a bunch of weight. I wasn’t doing it for myself; I was doing it so I could look like someone who I wasn’t.

I never appreciated anything about myself because I didn’t understand the concept of self-love.

I had gone through so much in my elementary school days and high school days that it ripped deeper into my self esteem. I was bullied for quite a few years about my weight, naturally that affects your self esteem and then unfortunately I was sexually assaulted which dug an even deeper hole.

I have had a constant battle with self love and I know that I am not the only one. During my freshman year of college I really started to do some self reflection which helped me find myself. Once I found who I really was, that’s when my confidence poured in like a hurricane. Looking into the mirror and saying “I love you” is honestly the best feeling ever!

Don’t ever judge someone by looks or just a glimpse because you do not know what they went through to get to that point!