When do you know you love someone?

I Asked 15 People When They Knew They Loved Their S.O. — They Told Me The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Love is so cute...sometimes.

661

After feeling on top of the world about my own relationship since it started, I decided to ask other people when they just knew they loved their significant other. I knew when I realized I was so comfortable with him that I was 100% unapologetically myself, with no qualms. I could lounge around in pajamas while stuffing my face with Chinese food and he loved me all the same. That's when I knew. (After all, your comfort level is so important in a relationship.)

Out of curiosity, I asked 15 other people when that moment was for them, and their answers were both like mine and nothing like it, all at once.

When I was comfortable

"When I finally realized I had the feeling of true comfort in all aspects, and safety no matter what. When I felt like he was "home" to me was when I really realized I loved him, the person he was, and the person he made me." - Emily

He was different

"At first I was in a very lost place and I told him I never planned on dating again. He kept trying. Eventually, we hung out a few times and, being in the place I was [in life], he let me move in with his family. One day we were talking about relationships and he said, "You know, it's all about finding the right one." From that moment I knew he was different." - Kaitlin

She was my "home" 

"I knew I loved [her] a few weeks after I met her. Being with her was my new home. I felt a kind of comfort I had never felt before." - Baley

Cuddle sesh 

"When we would cuddle. I realized how much he made me feel safe." - Gabby

Our conversation 

"I was addicted to talking to him. We were long distance for a while, and it was so hard to forget him. I fell in love with the way we conversed." - Kayla

Trust 

"When I knew I could trust him with my life." - Emily

He said it first 

"He felt like home. I felt safe with him and trusted him with my whole heart. I wasn't sure if it was love or lust but as soon as he told me he loved me, it solidified that I loved him." - Marissa

Right away 

"Pretty quickly. We didn't "say it" until three months in, but I wouldn't have dealt with anybody for three months had I not been in love." - Alyssa

I always missed him 

"I knew when I missed him when he had only gone to the bathroom. When I couldn't wait to wake up after we had gone to bed because I'd see him all sleepy, cute, and soft. I knew because one day I choked up at how perfect he made his toast. Love is weird and stupid and the best thing I've ever known." - Keena

High school 

"In high school, the first time I saw him I knew I loved him." - Taylor

I couldn't get enough of him

"After a couple of dates, I literally missed him so much. I couldn't get enough of him and couldn't go more than a few days without him. Now that we've been living together for a while I literally miss him at work." - Lilli

Best friends 

"He was my friend before we dated. I fell in love with my best friend." - Liv

We lived together 

"I knew it when we started living together. I didn't truly start loving him until I got to see his daily habits and little quirks that no one would know about unless you lived, day in and day out, with him." - Sara

He made me feel like a kid again 

"To everyone else, he was not ordinary, or odd. He'd walk in a room and be unnoticeable. I laughed at him more than I did at him. The moment I knew was when he made me smile. He was my best friend, and every moment with him felt like I was a kid again." - Alexis

The first time I saw her 

"I knew I loved her the moment I saw her. [She] was the one." - Megan