Why You Should Really Start Being You

Why You Should Really Start Being You

There's no time like the present to start expressing yourself fully, without regrets.

147
Why You Should Really Start Being You

There's something about quarantine that's making us all a little more introspective. Personally, I've been doing a lot of thinking about how quarantine has affected the way we express ourselves.

Since most of us are staying physically distanced, social media is one of the only outlets we have to express ourselves and socialize with our friends. Our social media platforms have always been curated to reflect our interests and values, but I would be lying if I said I haven't held myself back from posting something that interested me because I was afraid of what someone else might think.

Not too long ago, I finished a 30 Days of K-pop challenge on Instagram in which I posted some of my favorite K-pop songs according to the different prompts for each day. It sometimes felt a little awkward to keep up with it because I've been teased for liking K-pop -- in jest, of course, but still teased nonetheless. I continued, though, because my choice of music is a part of who I am. It's not my entire reason for living, and the music isn't necessarily mainstream or popular, but it's me. And I'm sort of tired of being embarrassed about 'me.'

I think we all should be tired of being apologetic about who we are. So, here's a story about being unapologetic about yourself -- starting with social media.

"You don't want to live with regrets or base your entire life on what other people think."

This is a photo of Andrew Moore taking pictures at a Mizzou football game.

Andrew Moore taking photos at a Mizzou football game.

Jared Fisch

Andrew Moore is a sophomore at the University of Missouri studying documentary journalism. He's a skilled photographer and videographer and has recently been doing a 100 Days of Sweat challenge with his friends, which entails posting snapshots of his workouts on Instagram for 100 days straight.

"I felt like this challenge would keep me on track with working out and staying in shape, which is one of my goals and something I like to do," Andrew said.

He's received his own fair share of teasing in response to his posts, but that doesn't stop him.

"One of my goals this year was to stop caring about what people think about what I post and to post things that make me happy," Andrew said. "I'm proud of the progress I've made, so I thought I would post it every day. It's important to post and do things that in general make you happy in life, because at the end of the day, other people's opinions aren't going to matter. You don't want to live with regrets or base your entire life on what other people think. Because then you'll be miserable."

"You kind of have to roll with it. You have to like it yourself."

This is a selfie of Jenna Skarlupka.

Jenna Skarlupka

Jenna Skarlupka is a certified Harry Styles enthusiast (but these days, who isn't?) and has been frequently posting Tik Tok videos of herself dancing to songs she enjoys. She's found that it's a nice way to add some excitement to quarantine.

"It's like when you're listening to songs while you're in the car or walking in your headphones and you think, 'I would so be in this music video,'" Jenna said.

Some videos have more meaning than others, but in all of them, her goal is to have fun doing what she enjoys.

"There kind of has to be an element of not caring," Jenna said. "Sometimes I go back and watch and cringe, but, oh well. I already did it. You kind of have to roll with it. You have to like it yourself. You have to push past the worry and think, 'I don't care if people are gonna like it or not. I think it's fun. So, that's why I want to share it.'"

So, share it.

As long as what you're posting isn't harmful to yourself or others, why should you feel shame about it? You may face teasing, even if it's just a mini roast by one of your friends. But laugh it off and move on.

Right now, more than ever before, we are using the Internet to express ourselves and communicate, unable to do so in person like we normally would. Since the way we express ourselves is limited, why should we filter ourselves even more in order to please others? You are the only one of you, and that fact alone is a beautiful thing. So, don't hide the things that make you happy. I bet there's someone else who enjoys those things, too.

I've discovered at least three other people who enjoy K-pop while I was doing my 30 Days of K-pop challenge (which, if I'm being honest, lasted way longer than 30 days because I was a mess at keeping up with it. But, anyways). Doing this challenge didn't invite shame at all, even though that's what I was afraid of. It did the opposite, actually. It invited others to simply share in the fun.

When quarantine is over, and we eventually start socializing in person again, I hope that I won't lose this desire to be unapologetically me. I hope that you won't either.