Why I Love the Whole 30 Diet And So Should You

I'm 13 days in and I'm HOOKED

295

Since I was just 11 years old, maybe even younger, I've had an extremely warped view of food, body image, and healthy living in general. My constant negativity towards myself caused me to do a variety of different workout regimes and diets, all with a very specific goal in mind, to be "thin". Some succeeded in helping me lose weight, but in the end, I always found myself back where I started, only more depressed than before.

Now that I'm 19 years old, I find myself at a point in life where my goals, perspectives, and self-value have changed dramatically. I am so grateful for the life I have and the body I've been given to enjoy it in. My goals have shifted from losing weight and morphing my body to the smallest shape it can be, to loving my body as it is and treating it with respect by leading a healthy life. This is where The Whole 30 comes in!

What is The Whole 30?

The Whole 30 is in no sense new; you've likely heard of it on TV, social media, or through friends and family who have already given it a try!

The exciting thing about Whole 30, is that it is not a restrictive diet that promises you're going to lose "x" amount of weight in "x" amount of time. These kinds of diets always end up being a big flop. It is a reset program in which you only eat whole, unprocessed foods and it is designed to grant food freedom.

Food freedom means that you're finally controlling your food rather than letting your food control you. The Whole 30 also fights your sugar dragon to shake your cravings for sweets!

Another reason for choosing The Whole 30 is that it cuts out foods that tend to be problematic in the digestive system so that after 30 days, you can start to reintroduce those foods and determine what intolerances your body may have.

What benefits have I seen?

Today's date is May 15, 2018 and I am on day 13 of my Whole 30. As I am just about half way through I have seen SO many benefits.

From the first few days, I could tell that: my skin was so much clearer and softer. and also that I had tons of energy that I didn't have before!

Everyone's Whole 30 is different, so at some point, everyone will go through a stage of fatigue while the body transitions from running on sugar to running on fat and carbs. After this is conquered though, people on Whole 30 are so energized, they say they feel a "Tiger Blood" level of energy coursing through them....WHOA!

From just HALF of the Whole 30, I no longer have digestive issues / stomach pains, I'm happier, I feel more confident in my self and my choices, I've lost a few pounds, and I've learned a lot about myself and the food I'm eating!

Most people when asked if they are an emotional eater would probably say no, myself included. Though just last week when I found out I didn't get the job of my dreams; all I wanted was to watch cute movies and eat chocolate. I couldn't though because of my Whole 30 committment. Then it dawned on me; I am an emotional eater. This is just another thing the Whole 30 has done for me. It has pointed out where I do well and where I fall short when it comes to food, while also helping me make the appropriate changes. I wouldn't have realized that my craving came from an emotional root if I hadn't been on the Whole 30. I would've gotten up and found myself whatever I wanted in that moment and that is not healthy (emotionally or physically)!

Challenges?

For some reason, I didn't find cutting out all these food groups to be all that difficult. All this program requires is the motivation to go and buy the foods you need and the discipline to stick to it. This means packing lunches and saying no to Sunday dinner.

Family gahterings with good food is definitely one of the biggest challenges and this is when it comes in handy to have someone in your family who can do the Whole 30 with you. Everything is easier with a buddy!

Another aspect that can be challenging is the lack of varitey. If you're someone who loves to cook and has the time, there are SO MANY Whole 30 compliant recipes online. However, since I am doing the Whole 30 by myself, I don't always have the motivation to try all kinds of recipes. I've pretty much been living on eggs, sweet potatoes, and spinach.

While cutting out dairy, gluten, all grains, etc. is challenging, all you're doing is making sure that the food you are eating is wholesome, good fuel. You're not restricting how much you can eat or counting calories, so you won't be miserably hungry, which is what most Americans associate with dieting. This is precisely why the Whole 30 is not considered to be a diet at all.

There are so many different reasons for doing this program and so many tangible benefits that come out of it that I would encourage anyone and everyone to give it a try! Whether you want to find out if you're lactose intolerant, mend your relationship with food, lose weight, learn how to eat healthier, whatever, the Whole 30 is a GREAT option.