Love the skin.

Love the skin.

-Its only essential, lets destroy the ideal forever!

22
Love the skin.
Shelby M. Williams

To put in the most simplest terms, colorism is the preference and instilled superiority of lighter skin over darker skin. Historically, colorism has been a political tool to place a specific demographic of peoples at the bottom or top of social class/order. For example, within the caste system in India, colorism was used to differentiate between the rich and the poor depending on the deepness of your skin tone. Another example would be to reference toward the Lynch methods that were used to further suppress African- American slaves into subordination. A particular method that was used with colorism at the root, was the “Paper Bag Test” which consisted of the use of a brown paper bag that measured the skin tone of slaves. Essentially, you do not “pass” the test, per say, but pass the guidelines to be considered a house or field slave. To be lighter than the bag meant you were of more importance and regarded as “Prettier” or “Smarter”, while slaves that were of a darker complexion than the bag were deemed as less, inferior, and ugly. Of course, “I HOPE!”, in the 21st century a majority of us can agree that these methods were a load of poppycock… yet these imperialistic ideas of what is deemed socially acceptable for a person of color or native descendant to be in societies within different regions of the world still exist today. As much as they were alive and prevalent during the era of its creation, it still persists to dominate the minds of many. Even I can openly state that as a child I have struggled with accepting my darker toned complexion due to this tactic.

Some may argue, where is this colorism? How does it exist if we have successfully built a bridge between Blacks and Whites? How does it persist if we are showcasing Black actors, Black TV hostess, Black performers, Black models, Black athletes and even a Black president?

To answer the question specifically regarding the United States as our target region, it is the consistent "whitenizing" and open preference for fair skin and European features that helps colorism dominate the minds of most Americans... The consistent exploitation of women and men meeting the "majority standard" for what is deemed as attractive ... And in some cases normal. The media serves as its most powerful ally, depicting everything but something dark, olive toned, or different without the fetishization of being "exotic". Not saying there is something wrong with being called exotic.

It just seems to be an insult when a specific demographic is not represented in multi-media outlets yet will be targeted or pursued behind "closed doors". I think its time for the colorists to stop being too happy for being white. And for the colorists to also stop implementing those thoughts of ... "Fair skin= Greater life.", into future generations. To stop with the use of bleaching creams, relaxers, perms, etc. ... To stop creating mechanics that further the issue. Its a global epidemic and we can start here and now to change it.