How Public Speaking Became The Love Of My Life

Do you like public speaking? No? here's how I fell in love with it.

790
First Covers

I've always loved being in the spotlight. It's something that just happens. No, I'm not talking about being that bratty center-of-attention kind of person. I am the type of person who likes to be heard by people around me. I want others to know what I think about a certain event. Along with putting my opinions out there, I also enjoy spreading information that I know. Things I have learned, I love to share with others.

I know I always loved to do presentations in class, I was always the first when to read out loud when the teacher asked the class for a volunteer, and of course, I would raise my hand.

The moment I fell in love with public speaking was when I took a public speaking course in college. That semester was the best semester for me. After finally deciding on majoring in Psychology and Communications, I was told that a public speaking course was required for my communications major. I didn't know if I should be excited or nervous. I didn't know what to expect.

When I walked into my first day of class, I found out that there will never be any quizzes or exams in the class. It was fully based on how well we speak, present, and improve. That not only made me nervous but I also became a little excited about what's going to happen. My professor turned out to be the coolest. He not only helped his students with becoming more confident in their speaking skills, but he also helped instill more comfort, positivity, and excitement into the students' public speaking capabilities. He made his class and his assignments for the students something to look forward to. I remember on the first day of class, he told us all to make a 30-second speech about ourselves. It shouldn't be so hard. Right?

As soon as I walked up in front of the class at the podium, I took a deep breath and started telling them about myself. It felt nice. I got great feedback on my speaking skills and each time, I improved even more. Every time I walked up to the podium, I felt more and more confident. One thing stuck with me that my professor told me. He said "If you know the information that you are about to present, you won't even sweat once to walk up to that podium and talk to a room full of complete strangers. Just know your stuff, take a deep breath, be confident, and present."

With these words in mind, I present and speak without any stage frights or the fear of someone making fun of me, questioning me, or the fear of embarrassing myself in front of complete strangers. That class is the reason why I love public speaking. The feeling of being able to speak my mind freely is not only relieving but it's also the best thing I will feel each time I do.