A Letter To The Grandparents Who Have Always Supported Me

"Love is the greatest gift that one generation can leave to another..."

14
Julia Giannini

Growing up, I was blessed with the pleasure of having both my mom's and dad's parents around. You were there for a lot of firsts in my life. First steps, first words, the first day of school, first loose tooth, the first day of getting my license, first day of college, etc. You were there from the beginning and I cannot begin to thank you. I write this letter to you because I may not call enough or come home a lot, but it doesn't mean that I do not think about you. I love you more than words can describe.

In grade school, we had "Grandparents Day" when all the grandparents came to the school to have a fun-filled day with their grandchildren. Lexi and I put on a musical for you guys and we went to the library to pick out a book so we could put our names on the inside. I looked forward to that day every single year. I loved to show you off to my friends because you are my whole world. I would talk about all of the great adventures we went on together. From playing "I Spy" while driving to see Aunt Rita, to going to Shipshewana, Indiana to visit the Amish town to grab handmade Barbie beds from the market. I cherish these adventure to this day and I will never forget the moments we shared in the car singing to old country music or Italian opera. You never failed to put a smile on our faces and make us laugh hysterically.

The sleepovers at your house were NOT the same sleepover's we would have with friends...yours were 100x better. We would make any kind of food we wanted and you taught me how to cook them. We would bake what seemed like hundreds of cookies and eat them all until we were sick. At night, we would stay up and watch your soap operas (you would call them "Soaps") or just watch 'Free Willy' until we feel asleep. You would read me and Lexi books about a dog with a human body, and we laughed every time you said "dog" because your Italian accent made it sound funny. I will never forget watching 'Tom and Jerry' while you made me "Mrs. Grass" soup. These are the moments I am forever thankful for.

Thank you for all of the support. You came to almost all of my sporting events and cheered me on from the bleachers. Even if I was TERRIBLE, you were still there to support me. You supported me from when I was in the middle school band when we would have our annual concerts. I wasn't the best clarinet player but you didn't care. You supported my decision when it came to college, even though you knew that school wasn't for me.

You understood me more than my parents. When I would have trouble in school, you would tell me that my dad or mom was never a genius in school like they claimed to be. You would tell me that I am just like them. You made me feel okay that I wasn't the best student because no one is the best. You understood how I felt when I wanted to give up because you have been in that place before.

The stories you would tell me about your life are the stories that I will tell my children and grandchildren. How you met your spouse and thinking that you are the perfect example of true love. The struggles you faced when you were younger, like moving to America and not having much. You proved to me that I can get through anything that life throws at me.

You taught me to love God unconditionally. Going to chapel in the afternoon or even midnight with you was an adventure to me. Trying to stay quiet for a whole hour was a challenge that Lexi and I accepted. We didn't quite understand what our purpose was for being there, but I still enjoyed it, because it was with you. Sunday church was a MUST for us. I always looked forward to after church because that meant we got to go eat food with you. Brunch was a 5-hour long meal that consisted of discussion of the church service, work, school, and funny family stories.

Now that I am twenty years old, I may seem like I do not care enough to call you, but in all honesty, I do. I miss you so much and I look forward to spending more time with you while I can. Being an adult has its good times, but the time I miss the most is the time spent with you when I was younger. I know a lot of people do not have the chance of knowing both sets of grandparents, but I am so grateful to know you like I do.

I want to say thank you for being the best grandparents a grandchild could ask for. We may not say it enough, but we appreciate everything you do for us. I love you with all of my heart.

Love,

Your Granddaughter