A Love Letter To Dogs Everywhere From The Girl Who's Allergic

I wish I could be around you, but I'm happy to enjoy your existence from afar.

61
Mac Baker

Dear dogs,

You are the goodest of good boys. I am writing you to tell you how much I love you, even though it’s just not meant to be, what with me being deathly allergic. But that doesn’t stop me from loving each and every one of you and wishing I could take you home and give you treats and belly rubs.

After a long day of being at work coming home to a wiggling, barking, jumping doggo is amazing. It doesn’t matter if we’ve been gone for a day or a week, the reaction is the same! If my mother was as happy to see me as you guys are I might visit more.

Puppies are such fun when they’re around. We’re so glad when you grow up, but there is nothing like watching puppies do basically anything. You puppers are like babies, but better. You cry less, play more, grow up faster, and you get to explore the world while you are still relatively new which creates some funny moments.

Any time we drop a piece of food, there you are! If it’s safe to eat (like ice cubes, carrots, or cheese), we can just let you clean it up. Thanks for always having our backs when we’re feeling lazy.

You are hilarious. Every day, you bring laughter and joy to your humans. Whether that is in the form of a funny face you make or your surprise at your own farts, you provide us with endless amusement. The internet is full of your antics, which brings joy to those of us who can’t bring one of you home with us due to allergies. I appreciate being able to enjoy your silliness from a distance.

Not only do you bring us joy, you also can make us healthier (well not me, but other people). Studies have shown that having a dog can reduce your risk of heart disease. Taking you guys on walks is good for our hearts and our waistlines, and is a great way to meet a possible significant other.

You guys are so devoted to us. Your endless love and devotion to your humans have inspired all sorts of books and movies. Also, you doggos the perfect companions. You don’t care what we are wearing or what’s on the television; you just want to be where we are. Whether we want to go running, watch movies, cook, or take a nap you are there and ready.

If that isn’t enough, lots of you guys perform important and lifesaving jobs that can’t be done by anyone else. To name a few: The Beagle Brigade is a bunch of beagles that sniff out illegal produce at airports (so cute); dogs that alert their humans to seizures; seeing eye dogs; and dogs that can get beers out of the fridge. Dogs with jobs are so underrated.

You’re experts at reading emotions, and you know exactly when we’re sad. Having you guys lay with us in our beds or at our feet when we’re sad is so comforting. Even though you can’t fix our problems, you can definitely ease our pain.

You love us when we feel unlovable. You make us want to be the people that you think we are and are constantly inspiring us to do better. I wish I could be around you, but I'm happy to enjoy your existence from afar.

Thank you so much for your love. We don’t deserve it, but we try.

Love,

Sarah and the other humans.