A Love Letter To Coffee

A Love Letter To Coffee

I need coffee in an IV

25
A Love Letter To Coffee
Buzzfeed

But first, coffee.

“Hello old friend,” I whisper to my coffee on my way to work. I can’t remember when I first fell in love with you. It wasn’t love at first sight, but more a forced type of love. I needed you more than you needed me. We’ve been in a serious relationship with one another for five years, so it’s time I tell you how I really feel about you, and it goes like this:

Thank you for everything you do for me. Thank you for being there when I wake up, and for being my 3:00 p.m. pick-me-up. You’re always picking me up when I’m down and giving me enough energy to stay awake in class and socialize. Drinking you is like seeing an old friend: warm, bitter sweet, and never enough.

Thank you for helping me get through my 8 a.m. humanities exams, 6 a.m. tennis practice, Songfest rehearsals, and late nights in Payson. Thank you for being delicious in every country I visit, and for never changing. You’re always there when I need you, particularly early in the morning.

I’m sorry for swearing at you when I spill you on my white sweater, and for thinking that you weren’t enough and that I had to add cream and sugar to you to make you better. We’ve had our ups and downs, and we’ve broken up a few times when my OCD (obsessive coffee drinker) acted up. I’m sorry for cheating on you with different types of tea – tea is great, but it’s not you. There’s only one coffee.

You don’t have a bad angle – you can come in any shape or form and I’d think you’re delicious. Black, with cream and sugar, as a mocha or Frappuccino…every way you come is great. Although I’m trying to like you for who you really are (just a plain cup of joe), I think all you need is a bit of cream and sugar.

I don’t just love you because you are trendy and photograph well in my Instagrams; I love you because you’re reliable. You warm me up on a cold winter morning, cool me down during the summer when I refrigerate you, and make a mean tiramisu and affogato. Thank you for giving me a reason to collect mugs and explore different areas of town. You inspire me and motivate me to be more creative. You lead me to cute hipster baristas and pair well with a chocolate croissant.

In my crazy life, thank you for always being there for me. You’re more than just my favorite drink, you’re a friend. Cheers to five years of friendship and a lifetime more. You’re the only thing that can get me through a 9-5 work day. I’ll see you bright and early tomorrow morning.