8 Reasons Why You Should Look Forward To Coming Home To JMU

We're truly the best university in Virginia

71
The Imaginative Conservative

Let's be honest, we've all been counting down the days left to move back into JMU since we left JMU for summertime. I mean how can you not be excited to go back to the happiest place on earth?! The colossal UREC, amazing food, and welcoming community are only some of the reasons why we're the best university in Virginia. Here are eight reasons why you should look forward to coming home to JMU!

1. UREC

This ginormous building is full of beautiful people and endless possibilities. I never work out at home, but it's hard not to take advantage of this gym we have at school. I mean, we have a huge hot tub, sauna, multiple pools, and four stories of courts, a track, machines, and exercise rooms. Not to mention - the unlimited yoga, cardio dance party, boxing, and other exercise classes you can take for free (well it's not technically free, but it feels free, so take advantage of it). Then, when you're done working out you can run downstairs and get a smoothie before you leave... AND they're still renovating the old part of UREC - which includes plans for a whole room of rock walls, so it'll only get better!

2. The Quad

The Quad is the absolute best. Especially in the fall when it's nice and warm outside, and there's still the quick breeze through the air. The Quad is actually puppy galore on these nice days, and trust me, this will be the best part of your day. It's also nice to relax in an Eno or throw a frisbee before class.

3.Sunday brunches.

Sadly there are no more D-HALL brunches on Sunday mornings anymore (now we'll have D-HUB brunches). BUT we still have E-HALL and the unlimited tater tots, ooey gooey goodness of the chocolate melting on the chocolate chip waffles, and ice cream in the mornings. I think we can all agree, the best part of Sunday morning brunches are the stream of endless, hilarious stories from the past weekend.

4. D-HUB

Now that D-HALL is, sadly, in pieces, we have D-HUB as our temporary dining hall in it's place. (No worries, Chick-fil-A is not completely gone, instead it's moved to a new location on campus). This place has some of the furniture from D-HALL, so it will still have the same vibe as D-HALL, except there are new amenities. This temporary dining hall has the same buffet style, and now has outdoor seating with fans. Also, this place offers meals on-the-go, so you can walk up to a window, order your food, and be on your way to class! Not to mention... there is an actual nacho bar in D-HUB (this is not a joke, this is real life). I know you're all freaking out, as am I. To top it all off, in a couple years we will have the brand new D-HALL, which I'm sure will have been worth the wait.

5. Football games and tailgates

Tailgates before football games are possibly some of the most fun things to look forward to at JMU in the fall. Not to mention,JMU has been hitting the pot-of-gold lately with our athletics. Last year, we were featured on ESPN when College Game Day came to JMU (which was one of the most fun, once-in-a-lifetime weekends), in 2010 we beat Virginia Tech in football (which will never die down), and this year the NCAA Division 1A, Big 12 Conference is looking at JMU to join their conference in the near future. If we're picked, this means we'll be able to face bigger schools in games, and our school will get the recognition it deserves!

6. "Dukes hold doors"

This is one of the most common sayings you'll hear around campus. Yes, it's true - we hold doors for people who may be a mile away from the building. However, this is something that makes JMU the school that we are. There's truly nothing greater than the sense of happiness and community here. Once you step onto campus, you'll be hit with the wave of niceness radiated from the people at this university.

7. Things only JMU people understand

We have some sayings that may not make total sense to people who don't attend this university. Such as, "Show me your dukes," "Are you going to Gingerbread or Forest?" "It smells like dog food, it's definitely going to rain." Also, the fight song t-shirts are completely upside down, which makes people in public give you weird looks. However, if you go to JMU, you know they're upside down for a reason - so you can read them when you sing the fight song.

8. FROG week

Hands down, one of the best weeks at JMU. It's the first week back from summertime where we welcome home all of the new first-years. This week is also the last week of summer, but first week of having our freedom back, and there are no classes. This week is all about relaxing and having fun before we start our new semester!

Let's make this a great year, and one to go down in the books. Soon we'll be back home to free t-shirts, Cheeze Please, puppy farm visits, and the unlimited sprinklers, even when it's raining. Go Dukes!