An Exploration Of The Word 'Love'

An Exploration Of The Word 'Love'

Love is deeper than the brain and actions. Love is a soul deed.

14
An Exploration Of The Word 'Love'
Chontel Bevans & Leticha Heflin

Love is such a big word. Not in size, but in meaning. Love is deeper than the brain and actions--love is a soul deed. Love enhances you spiritually, helps you embrace those that you love and empower others to do the same.

"Love" comes from the old German. There are many different types of spellings and meanings. Some distinct versions are liobōn, and liuben which means to make agreeable or dear, to be agreeable or dear, to desire, to do (someone) good. Also liubī, and liuba, which refers to the pleasure that one experiences for or through something, agreeableness, fondness, kindliness, goodwill. Over time, the meaning of "love" has continued to evolve.

My first and greatest example of love was taught to me as a very young child. Having a very strong Christian background, my spirituality is very important to me and to my family. As a young child, I learned about the love of Christ and his true sacrifice. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son …” John 3:16 was one of the very first scriptures I learned as a child simply because of that major act of love.

Love is shown all throughout the Bible. In fact, love is one of the nine fruits of the spirit. In the Bible, God teaches us about love and even commands us to love our neighbor as ourselves. With the background that I have, I strive to be like Christ and that includes the way that I love as well. In fact, that is a major part of the Christian walk -- love. You aren’t always required to like or get along with people, but you are commanded to love them. Love allows our daily life to run smoother. Most people are surrounded by those that they love and appreciate, and, due to our love, we are more willing to be long-suffering with them.

Love isn’t a selfish thing. To truly love, you have to sacrifice. With my family alone, I learned about being long-suffering. I was taught that you only endure with those that you truly love because you want the absolute best for them. The love you show to family and close friends is different from the love you show to a stranger, but it all stems from the same place. How is that? Perhaps you have just prioritized your love or maybe you've been taught that way. Love is "give and take," but sometimes one side does more than the other. You are in control of your love. Sometimes, compassion takes the lead and won’t allow you to let go.

Often times you will hear songs that talk about love and its power. Love has the power to change lives. You have heard stories about people wanting to commit suicide and at the last moment were embraced or were told a kind word that gave them hope in whatever their situation was. That is an act of love. Love can be shown in so many different ways and sometimes we don’t even recognize that it is love. Love’s purpose is to make us better and let us know that we don’t have to go it alone. For me, that is why the greatest example of love is Jesus Christ. His many sacrifices and acts show that he loved his people more than he loved himself.

Love has helped me through a lot of life’s trials and tribulations, especially through the death of those close to me. In that sad time, I can remember how much that person loved me and how much I loved them too. It helps me through those difficult times and gives me the strength to help others. Love liberates. In liberating others, you allow them to grow and experience life for themselves knowing that they have someone behind them rooting for them the whole way! I plan to always be that person full of love, helping people every step of the way. I also will forever be grateful to those who have loved me, even when I didn’t deserve it, and who still continue to love me now. Love is more than just a word to me; it’s a lifestyle.