3 Things I Don't Regret About Being A Music Major

147
Anna Courtney

Being a music major in general is a difficult degree to strive for. Pursuing any career where your income is based on your vocal chords is not an easy feat. It becomes harder when you have to juggle in finishing your core classes and dealing with relationships and family issues. Not to mention the fact that you have to work two jobs to even CONSIDER a career in Music in general.

Despite the negatives that come with being in this career, here are three things I don't regret about being in this field of work.

1. Late-Night Studying

Yes, despite the fact that I will only get four hours of sleep from working all day, I wouldn't trade those late nights for anything. It gives me a reason to sing. So what if I have a music theory analysis at 9:40 a.m. tomorrow that's gonna take me five million hours to do? You want me to do the IPA for my French piece? Um, of course, I'm going to do it! This is what music is all about!

2. Music Lessons

To many singers, this is probably the most stressful class they have because they feel like they're not prepared when they go in there. I am fortunate enough to have a professor AND and accompanist that work with coaching my diction any other techniques I can use to perfect my musicality. If anything, I learn more in my private music lessons that I do in any of my other classes.

I have a one-on-one with my professors, and they give the critiques I need to get better. So maybe sometimes they may come off as harsh. Okay, and? Would you rather them sugar-coat it for you? They are looking out for your best interest because they went through the same process you are going through currently. They're teaching you to make smart choices with your voice so you can be more prepared and don't have to stress about it. This goes for composition and instrumentalists alike. Don't make the same mistakes that they made when they were getting their Bachelor's. It's better to get the routine in early.

3. Juries

Now, I know you think I'm crazy, but Juries to me are so much fun! This is the time to show all your professors the hard work you have put in for the semester and what you have learned. For some this might be their final and therefore stress ensues.

You are evaluated on your technique, your movement (if a Musical Theater Major), and the changes in your voice good or bad. Mistakes might be made when you sing at your juries. Don't sweat it! At least you went to your Jury! You beat the anxiety! Now go spend Christmas with your family!

This is just a process that everyone goes through in college, music major or not. There will be sleepless nights, anxiety, crying, and getting ready for finals week. Honestly, though, I wouldn't trade my degree for anything in the world. At least I'm doing what I love! Don't take it for granted and keep on doing what you do best!