"Looking Forward To Things Is Half The Pleasure In Them"

We are all put on this earth for a purpose. People constantly question the meaning of life. As humans, we are wired to believe that our lives have special meaning. We desire guidance in our lives, which is shown by the development of religious and spiritual beliefs.

Evidence of humans attempting to define the meaning of life is shown in books, theories, philosophers, horoscopes and religions. We are persistently trying to look for the meaning of our lives. Nobody’s idea of what they believe the meaning of life is perfect…even if it does mean relying on “the stars” from a newspaper article.

I am not going to tell you that my meaning of life is correct but for me it makes sense. It is quite simplistic. I believe that the meaning of life is having something to be excited for and having something to look forward to. For me, when I have something to look forward to, I have a purpose.

Looking at the big picture of life, I am excited to move back into college next week. I am excited that next year I will finally be 21. I am looking forward to graduating next year. I am looking forward to one day having a family of my own. On a smaller scale, I am excited for breakfast tomorrow morning. I am even looking forward to having my nails done this week. Having all of these great things to look forward to is what keeps me motivated. Life would be so different if we did not have anything to look forward to.

Having something to look forward makes me feel good. The anticipation of waiting for something great to happen and being able to share it with the people that I love is what happiness is rooted from (at least for me). Looking forward to a new restaurant or maybe taking a nap when you get home from a long day of work is finding happiness even if is just the “little things.”

Everyone has their own idea of what happiness is, and what their purpose is for living everyday. Even on our worst days you have something to look forward to. We all experience one of those days where we feel like nothing is going right and our luck has ran low. But, even on our worst days we can all find something to look forward to.

We tend to overlook the little things. Sometimes we forget that we have a bed to come home to or even a pillow to cry on. Trying to find the purpose in those little things is something that can keep us motivated. Finding happiness in the “little things” helps us to give our life meaning. It might be comforting for many of us to have faith in religion for guidance but when it comes down to it we each have something that keeps us going. My purpose in this world is looking forward to things that bring me happiness.