A Look Back on MY 2017

A Look Back on MY 2017

A brief and personal summary of the things I have accomplished, learned, and experienced in 2017.

792
A Look Back on MY 2017
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/10/636511422283320900-1333419071_IMG_5035.jpg

People say a lot can change in a year, and although I am not the type to create any specific “resolutions,” after the crazy year I have had it only feels right.

As 2017 came to a close, I took some time to revisit some specific moments that have impacted me as a person throughout the year. Over the last 12 months, I accomplished many things that I did not expect to, going into the beginning of the year. I also experienced things that opened my eyes to new interests and priorities.

As winter began to pass, I made the last-minute decision to audition to be a member of the New England Patriots Cheerleading team. The audition was a process that I have never experienced in my life and after making it to the final round of the audition, I was ecstatic to have gotten so far after trying out for the first time. If this experience taught me anything it is that no matter your age or capabilities, you should always work towards chasing your dreams because you never know how far you will go unless you give it a try. I am now preparing myself for the 2018 audition, hoping to make it to finals again, if not further.

As summer came along, so did small vacations. A specific trip to Acadia National Park in Maine with someone who means so much to me along with their family genuinely opened my eyes to see how much beauty can be found in such serene places. Four wheeling through sand dunes and hiking up national parks sparked an outdoor interest in me and has now become an even bigger love of mine than it was before. This specific trip impacted me in ways that not many would understand unless you see for yourself the true beauty of reaching the top of a mountain that overlooks the ocean, or even the simplistic beauty of calm bodies of water reflecting the mountains surrounding it.

This year, I made it a priority to do something good for those around me. Unfortunately, a loved one of mine suffering from the unfortunate disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis otherwise known as ALS was gradually getting worse and the year went on. Because this is a disease that has affected my family personally, I decided to create a fundraiser through the Curry College Cheerleading team not own to raise money for a good cause, but to help spread awareness for such a terrible disease that affects more people than you may expect. After the fundraiser, over $1,000 was sent to a local ALS organization to help families in need. Although I have always had a passion for helping others around me, I finally felt as though I was possibly making a small difference in such a big world. It was also heartwarming to know that this was being done for such a great cause, spreading awareness for the disease to a college community.

When it came to school work this year, I can proudly say that I made Dean’s List both Spring and Fall semesters. I also dedicated more time to writing and educating myself a little more on politics (Something I would like to continue to do into the new year). School work has always been important but this year I have truly found a love for my school work. I also find having straight As after a semester, aside from that painful B+, not only makes your parents proud, but it is genuinely rewarding mentally.

Although the year was filled with adventure and proud moments, there was also some not so great moments. I firmly believe that this year has truly taught me who to surround myself with, those people being the people who only raise you higher and show you the love that you give to them and that you rightfully deserve. At points of the year I felt lost, but thankfully found my way back to those who are meant to be by my side forever. This year I witnessed family members lose loved ones along with seeing such wonderful human beings in my life suffer both physically and mentally. This has shown me the importance of loving those around you at all costs and how important it is to spend those extra few minutes with family and loved ones as much as possible, because in our world that we live in today, you can never be absolutely sure that we are safe.

As the year has come to a close, I am entering 2018 with an internship at a Division 1 College Athletic Program, working in Broadcasting/Video and Marketing at the College of the Holy Cross. This opportunity will be an amazing experience and something I can personally say that I have worked hard to receive.

Although people say a lot can change in a year, and I am not the type to create any specific “resolutions,” after the crazy year I have had it only feels right. This year I vow to be an even better person than I was leaving 2017. I believe that I have genuinely grown and matured as a person throughout these last 12 months, but have grown to have the mindset of you will never actually reach the best version of yourself, so you should always be striving to be better not only for yourself, but for those around you as well. As for 2018, I am looking forward to sticking with this motto, spending time with family and loved ones, focusing on my physical health, adventuring often, and doing more for the community.