The ABCs Of Long Island

Long Island, NY. The 631 or 516. From the city to the Montauk bluffs, Long Island has a little bit of everything. Here are the must-haves every Long Islander knows and lives by.

A. Accent

You don't realize you have an accent until you leave Long Island and are constantly asked to say "Water" and "Coffee."

B. Bagels & Billy Joel

If you meet a Long Islander, they are bound to talk about Billy Joel's birthplace because he is truly the mascot of LI ... and don't even try to serve us a bagel that isn't from Long Island.

C. City

If you grew up on LI, you were bound to travel into the city at least five times a year to see the tree, a musical or just take a walk in Central Park. We embrace NYC like it's our own, but will deny it if you ask.

D. Diners & Delis

The perfect place to grab a bite at any time of day, diners and delis are perfect for sit-down meals and grab-and-go options. You only will go to one diner and one deli in your life, unless you are trying some newsworthy sandwich or shake.

E. Egg Sammies

On a roll or on a bagel ... the biggest dispute. When it comes to a BEC, the phone will always eat first.

F. Fire Island

While the north shore has plenty of rocky beaches, taking the ferry to Fire Island for the day or for the entire summer is so much better. From the golf course and lighthouse to Smith Point, there is something for everybody and every age.

G. Great South Bay

The place to see the best sunrise and sunset at your local marina, but even better to take out your boat, jet ski, or kayak. While the bay is nothing compared to the ocean, it is a Long Islander's pride and joy.

H. Half Apps

There is something about a Long Islander's love for Applebees – especially once 10 PM strikes. You grew up going to half apps after seeing a movie or school show, and continue to go there after you graduate.

I. Italian Ices

There's Rita's, Ralph's, or even your local shop. Regardless, Italian ices are so much more for a Long Islander – enjoying them during the dog days of summer and also stopping in before they close for the season in November.

J. Jones Beach

The beach that all of Nassau County knows and loves and Suffolk County travels to see the airshow or a concert.

K. Kings Park & Pilgrim State

If you've been to either of these psychiatric centers, you know that the Amityville Horror House isn't the only haunted place on LI. Even driving past them will give you the chills.

L. LIRR

You might be traveling to the city to see a hockey game at MSG or heading out east. Wherever you decide to travel to, you know that these overpriced tickets are worth it to either miss the traffic or act as the designated driver.

M. Montauk: The End

If you don't have a "The End" sticker on your car, are you really from Long Island? This is one of the most popular summer getaways for Long Islanders without even leaving the Island.

N. Nofo

The North Fork of Long Island is usually overlooked due to the south fork having the Hamptons and Montauk. However, Greenport and Orient are two of the not-so-hidden gems of Long Island.

O. On Long Island

If you say "in" Long Island, you are obviously not from here and we will correct you.

P. Pizza, Pizza, Pizza

You are destined to find a pizza parlor in every town – sometimes even ten if you live near me. NYC and LI have perfected the art of pizza, and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Q. Queens & Brooklyn

Yes ... they are technically part of Long Island but definitely are not.

R. Robert Moses

The beach where Suffolk County residents spend their summer. With the dual bridges and lighthouse – all connected to the rest of Fire Island – Bobby Moses is the place to be from June-August.

S. 7-Eleven

If there isn't a 7-Eleven within a 5-mile radius of your house, you don't live on Long Island. Simple as that.

T. TRAFFIC

Don't even start. The LIE, Belt Parkway, and EVERY highway/parkway on Long Island during rush hour is a horror movie.

U. Upstate is not NY

If you think that upstate is superior, you are probably from there and should go back.

V. Vineyards

The East End has vineyards galore. Spending the day out East is a wine coma waiting to happen.

W. WBLI

106.1 is the station we grew up on and still listen to to this day. If you never tried to win free tickets or BLI merch, you need to listen to a new station.

X. X-Pressway

If you are not able to drive in the HOV lane, you will be bombarded by loads of traffic. The LIE spans across Long Island and should never be entered during rush hour.

Y. Yankees v. Mets

You're either a Yankees fan or a Mets fan ... there is no in-between. However, a true Long Islander knows that the Mets are on Long Island while the Yankees are in the Bronx.

Z. Zeppoles

The best zeppoles are from Long Island, and you most likely will have difficulty finding them if you are off the Island. Every pizza parlor will give you a bag of these with powdered sugar, and some fried Oreos during the weekend.