Distance Makes The Heart Grow Fonder, If They're 'The One'
Long Distance

If They're 'The One,' Distance Will Only Make Your Heart Grow Fonder

A guide on how to tackle a long distance relationship.

1154
Photo by Molly Hudson

I should start by saying that long distance relationships can be difficult yet very rewarding in the end. This is my second year doing long distance with my boyfriend who is my absolute best friend in the world. The experience is different for everyone and no it doesn't work for everyone, but if you are just starting or considering doing long distance, maybe try these tips, cause they have certainly helped my relationship.

No, I am not an expert, I still have a lot to learn, but what I do have is experience. My boyfriend, Sam, and I go to college across the country from each other, but all I can say is we are kicking long distance's butt!

When he told me almost two years ago, after hardly knowing each other, that he had decided to go to college across the country, there wasn't a moment when I thought anything other than we are going to do this and we are going to work for it, and so here we are two years later doing just that. If that person is meant to be your person and is the guy or girl that you want by your side forever, then you should be willing to work for it. It, unfortunately, can't and won't always be easy.

Trust Each other 

This is key, unfortunately, you can't be by their side 24/7 checking in on them but that is where trust comes in, you have to trust that you will both work equally as hard to make the most of the situation, and trust that it will all pay off in the end. Trust the love that you have for each other, and the goal that you both have in mind: not having to do long distance anymore.

Make time for each other 

I think a lot of people in long distance relationships can relate to this, and find this probably the most important part of succeeding in this type of relationship. I am constantly on FaceTime with Sam, every second that we both have together is usually spent on FaceTime, we do homework together a lot(!), and spend afternoons and evenings catching up on the day! Texting and using Snapchat throughout the day is another way to stay in touch. Calling each other when something big happens or when you are just bored and want to talk to someone or checking in on them is always a good idea. I FaceTime or call my boyfriend when I am walking to the gym, that way I am

1) not alone and

2) making the most of our time!

Be spontaneous 

Do things that can make their day from a distance, obviously the guy can't bring the girl flowers, or just come over and hang out but you can do small things like, sending a cute text or Snapchat, or calling them out of the blue just to say hi! Something that Sam and I have liked doing is kinda old school but also cute, we send letters back and forth, it is something unique and also something to keep as a memory of our time doing long distance together.

Laugh 

Laugh with each other, at each other or whatever you have to do to make it a little more fun! According to my boyfriend, I am not funny, but that is OK, I find everything anyone says funny, so I am constantly laughing, and I try really hard to make him laugh, sometimes too hard. I have succeeded a couple of times. I think that he finds me not being funny, funny, so that makes me happy.

Make the most of the time you are together 

I find this so important, although that time together usually flies by quicker than the time apart, making the most of your time together makes every minute apart worth it. When you are together, say and do everything you have been wanting to while you are apart, don't hold back because before you know it, you'll be back to being miles apart from each other. This is weird but I made a bucket list for this summer, so that when Sam comes home we don't forget to do anything we have been talking about wanting to do.

One last thing, never stop telling them and showing them how much you love them!

Although long distance isn't the ideal situation, you will learn to make the most of the situation and rock it! Like I said in the beginning, it can be a truly rewarding experience and make your relationship even stronger than you ever thought was possible.

Good luck, just know that it IS worth it. If that person is the person you want to be with, then "fight" for it!