A Letter To All Those I Thought I Couldn't Live Without

Here I am-living.

5
Julia Banfi

Hey,

I hope you're doing well. Really I hope you are. Obviously, you were important to me at some point. You were a best friend or more than that. You were there for me in hard times. You made me laugh. I still have countless of memories with you that make me smile. You meant the world to me and I cared about you with my full heart, just like I do with every person that means something. At some point, I probably thought I couldn't live without you; that I would no longer experience life without you by my side.

But something happened. Something changed in our relationship. It was no one person's fault. We both probably said or did things we shouldn't have. We hurt one another. Or we fell out of touch. But it was enough that a person who was once our focus is now a memory. I probably cried at the loss of you for awhile. Laid in bed thinking of all the things I could have done wrong or right, all of the things I thought I wish I could change. At that point, I thought I couldn't live without you still, even though I was already doing it.

Things happen the way they are supposed to. Humans are meant to experience more than one range of emotions. We are supposed to cry both tears of joy and of pain. Without one, we wouldn't really know the others. If we didn't experience pain, would we really ever appreciate the bliss of being purely happy?

Even though it hurt, I think we have moved on. While it can hurt from time to time while we think about all the good times, we survived the real pain. We survived the loss. We are living. Maybe better now then we were then.

Relationships are vital to the human life and they aren't always forever. And sometimes that's okay.