CHD: Living With A Literal Broken Heart

CHD: Living With A Literal Broken Heart

February isn't just for Valentine's Day.

142
CHD: Living With A Literal Broken Heart
blogspot.com

While most people recognize the month of February as a month to celebrate love and romantic relationships, the month of February has always had a much deeper meaning to me. While many girls my age are either making plans with their boyfriend or complaining about not having one, I am celebrating this month as a girl with a literal broken heart. February is not just for Valentine's Day, it is also Congenital Heart Disease Awareness month.

Throughout elementary and high school, I was the girl sitting out of gym class or walking the required laps instead of running them. People looked at me and wondered why. On school trips I would have to use a wheelchair, and I would miss school sometimes for hospital appointments or surgeries. Whenever someone would ask why I got to sit out of class, or what bone I broke that I had to be in a wheelchair, and I told them I had a heart defect, the immediate response is "I'm sorry." I write this article today to these people, because you don't have to be sorry. Having Congenital Heart Disease has never been something to make me sad or feel bad about myself. In fact, I can't imagine who I would be if I didn't have CHD. I certainly would not be as brave or strong; I would not be as appreciative as I am of life. I wouldn't have experienced the wonderful things like speaking at events for my hospital or going to a special summer camp in California if it were not for my heart defect.

When you have something like CHD involved in your life, your eyes are opened to all of the amazing things life has to offer. You appreciate the little things, because you truly never know what tomorrow brings. To some this can be scary, but to me it is special. It's nice to have something in your life that makes you look at life in a way that makes you want to live it to the absolute fullest.

This month, if you hear of someone dealing with CHD, you don't have to say sorry. I think I speak for all of those with CHD in saying that we don't want you to feel bad for us, we just want you to realize all that life has to offer. Don't let anything hold you back, because yes, I have been known as the girl who sits out of gym class or who had to use a wheelchair. However, I have also been known as the girl who loves adventuring around the city, going on rollercoasters, and being captain of her high school cheerleading team. If being aware of Congenital Heart Disease this month helps you realize that nothing in life can hold you back, then that is much more meaningful than "I'm sorry."