Living In A "Man's World"

Living In A "Man's World"

What it's like being a woman trying to climb to the top of a world that belongs to men.

310
Living In A "Man's World"

This week, I failed my very test college test. As a straight A student, this obviously really bothered me, so I went to my professor to ask what exactly happened. He told me it was my essay portion that made my grade so low. As an English major, this surprised me even more than the fact that I failed the test. I asked my teacher if I perhaps misinterpreted the question being asked.This is where things got interesting. This is what he told me: "You have to stop thinking like a woman. You want to go into a professional world that is run by men. To make it you, you have to think like a man." This was by far not the answer I was expecting.

In this moment, I realized no matter what path I choose to take in the future I am already starting off with a disadvantage simply because I am a woman. This infuriates me. I am competitive, independent, motivated and strong willed, just like many of the men in this world who have been deemed successful leaders. This is so incredibly frustrating because I am proud of my feminism and yet at that end of the day, it hurts me. I may have longer hair, fuller lips and wear heels but that doesn't mean I am any less powerful than someone with a beard, tie or pleated pants.

There are so many successful women who have made a true difference in our country. It is often that we hear things such as, "she was the first woman to..." The problem with is that by acknowledging they were the first woman to do whatever, it automatically categorizes them into a group demonstrating that they are different. Women all over the world have made huge steps forward in the feminist movement; however, there is still so much that needs to be done.

As a young woman with drive, ambition and motivation, I challenge each and every other woman out there like me to not allow anyone to tell you to "think like a man." Instead, I want you to make a conscience decision to not think like a man, but to think like a leader. Not just a leader, but a successful leader that can provide for their followers and meet their needs. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you wear a coat and tie or pantyhose to your office, it's whats you accomplish while wearing it.