Living in between

Living in between

It's okay to to lead two lives, have two identities, and call two places home

1042
Living in between

This is a response to Culture Clashing: A Lifetime Of Adapting To An American Life

Living two lives, being two places at once, or having somewhat of a life and identity crisis are familiar terms to those that are American but also something else.

Identifying as American- in school, in your daily life and assimilating into the culture is what people do. For those of us who are something else though: American and South Asian, or American and Korean or American and Guatemalan etc. It's not easy. Inevitably, many of us struggle to define ourselves, in our culture and also the world outside it.

Feelings of betrayal are also normal, how can you be American but also be a part of your culture? This sentiment is shared amongst millions, yet, every story is different. Nobody else can define your place in the world but you. While many choose to completely immerse themselves into American culture, others don’t. Whatever you choose to do is on your own accord and your own definition.

There is a community for those who struggle with having two identities, and loving both, and feeling untrue to one or the other. Having others who feel the same as you can help, especially to help you draw lines between two lives. Being American and enjoying the culture is one thing but loving your heritage/culture is another, and both can live in harmony but that is a journey that you will take, just as so many others.

Also, isn’t leading two different lives is kind of cool. To be able to assimilate into two completely different cultures is not easy and for those who do this, there are so many like you but at the same time there is no one who does it like you.