Stop Living For The Post, Try Living For The Moment

Social media is ruining us.

48

Social media is slowly affecting our mental health in ways some of us aren't even aware of.

Social media, something that we are all too familiar with, is slowly ruining us. What seems to be a harmless way to share our lives and experiences is slowing becoming more and more toxic.

Every morning most of us turn over and check our phones, having Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat the main priority. The first things our eyes see are the Snapchats of other people sharing what they did the night before, the Instagram posts of people and their friends, and the Snapchat streaks we keep and have no idea why.

Why have streaks with people we do not even talk too otherwise? Is it the fact that we have notifications popping up on our phones? Do we get gratification in seeing we have people we "talk to on a daily basis?" But when we think about it, do we even go further than the "streak" snap we get in the morning?

For most of us, that's all it is. A streak.

You can look around at any social event or gathering of people, and notice a majority of them on their phones, posting pictures for Instagram and videos for Snapchat and comparing pictures with their friends.

No one lives in the moment anymore, we live for the post.

It is like we do not know how to talk to each other anymore, and only communicate through our phones. We need to work more on living in the moment and taking the moment in before it is gone. Half of the memories we have were seen through our phones and that is the sad truth. We are so consumed with what we can post and share when we are out, rather than actually enjoying the moment and taking it all in.

Whether we like it or not, we tend to post what we feel will get "the most likes" or what we feel will impress others the most. Sharing what others gift us, or the expensive items we choose to buy ourselves.

We post for the gratification and approval of others.

The "like," something we all strive for and wonder if something is wrong with what we post if we do not get. Only being satisfied with an image we put out onto the internet if it gets 500 likes or comments under it. We place our self-worth in what other people think of us and constantly chase happiness. Thinking, "oh if I get 300 likes on this picture I will be happy" or "if this guy likes this photo or comments I will feel content." Yet once we achieve these things, we are still left feeling unfulfilled.

When you place your happiness in others, you will always be disappointed.

The number of followers you have does not define you. The number of likes you get does not define you. Yet this is how most people feel nowadays. Constantly trying to gain followers, and checking who follows and unfollow us.

The truth is, social media will not bring you happiness. We should not compare ourselves to the people we see online and compare our lives to the stories they post and choose to share. You never know what is going on behind the scenes of each photo.

After all, we all choose to put the best version of ourselves out there, and never shine a light on the bad things so what makes you think other people are not doing the same.

It is time we put the phone down and actually spend quality time with people. You are only young once, so make memories, tell people you love them, and stop chasing love and happiness from people on the internet.

No more comparing our bodies and lives to others.

It's time to utilize self-love, and stop placing our energy into the toxic world of social media.

You are only young once, so make memories, tell people you love them, and stop chasing love and happiness from people on the internet.

Because in reality, the only one who really cares about it all, is you.

Be kind to yourself.