Let's Talk About Anxiety And How We Can All Learn To Cope

Anxiety takes over when you least expect it

226
Unsplash

Ever since I can remember, I have always been a little on edge. I have always been the type of person who has been a little extra careful. Especially around new people and new situations. I always did and still usually do have my guard up around new things. I always thought that I was different from most people because of it.

I did not know what it was or why I was like that. As I got older things started to get worse. I started to get more anxious around people and fear speaking in front of people and meeting new people. In school, I was always afraid that the teacher would call on me to answer a question. I would fear speaking in front of the class.

Anxiety is a feeling that is unlike any other. It feels like you are not in control of anything. It feels like someone is sitting on your chest and you can hardly breathe. Anxiety is being so caught up in one small thing but not being able to take your mind off of it because it brings so much stress into your life, but there is nothing you can do about it. Anxiety feels like the whole world is judging your every move, so you feel pressured to do everything perfectly 24/7.

Finally, after many years, I decided to get help and go see a psychiatrist. I was diagnosed with anxiety and was given medication to try to help reduce my anxiety levels. Even going on medication is a struggle because they can have weird side effects, and it can take many months to find one that works. Once I found one that works, it was the best thing I have ever done!

There are many simple ways to cope with anxiety throughout the day without medication if your anxiety is not very severe.

Start by taking deep breaths, usually when people get anxiety their heart starts beating really fast and they are either taking very short small breaths, or they are hardly breathing at all. Another way to cope is to do an activity that is calming and can take your mind off of what is making you anxious, such as coloring or drawing.

Listening to calming music can help as well. Exercise is a great way to reduce anxiety levels.This can be done by either going to the gym, or taking classes such as yoga, Pilates, or Zumba. The more you practice these things over time, the easier they’ll get, and your anxiety levels will start to decrease.

The first step to getting better is simply admitting that there is something wrong, that something is not right. Try to take note of what triggers your anxiety, and how you can change things to make them better, so you will not have anxiety when those situations arise. If that does not help, then I encourage you to seek help by going to a counselor or a psychiatrist.

If you or anyone you know is struggling with severe anxiety or any other mental illness, I encourage you to seek help. It is a hard thing to do and hard to admit, and it may seem scary at first, but I know that you will not regret it. It could change your life for the better.