Living With Chronic Pain

Living With Chronic Pain

I'm not asking for your pity, I'm just telling my story.
75

I know I do not have it the worst, this article isn't here for me to try and convince anyone that I do. This article is here to help express what it is like living in a constant state of aches, not knowing when a crippling wave could come rolling in. I know I'm not the only one who lives this way, and I hope I can help give a voice to others like me.

I have been diagnosed with chronic migraines since I was 16 years old and am now also diagnosed with sciatica issues which cause muscle spasms and flare ups in my lower back. For those who don't know: Chronic Pain is defined as pain lasting longer than, or occurring multiple time throughout, 12 weeks.

I am only 20 years old, and some days it is impossible for me to sit longer than an hour. Again, I know there are others who have it far worse. But when you have days that consist of 3+ hours of classes in a row and you want to succeed as a student: all you can do is wish you were perfectly fine.

At my age, I shouldn't have to have MRI's of my back and head. I should not have to see spine specialists and Neurologists. I should not need the prescriptions I have: but I do. I accept that I do because without it all I would be hurting and nowhere near how I am today.

At the same time, though, I wish I could practice yoga or eat more salty foods or wear certain perfumes or even just sit through my classes. I wish my roommate didn't have to worry about me because a muscle flare up could end up lasting and lead to a hospital visit.

While I've learned how to manage it and still go on to be a full-time student, with a part-time job, a member of a club, a co-editor for Odyssey, and have a social life: it does not mean it's a walk in the park.

I guess my story is just another example of why we shouldn't judge a book by its cover or make assumptions before knowing the whole story.