How To Glorify God And Not Yourself
Religion

Heart Check: Is This For God Or Is This For Me?

It is a constant battle within ourselves: are we living life for the right reason?

297

As Christians, we know we are called to do everything to the glory of God, but do we really know what that looks like? And if we do, do we always live up to that? The truth is, we are humans, and it is human nature to think of ourselves. That is why we are in a constant battle between the flesh and Spirit.

I know for me at least, it is easy to get caught up in myself. Whether it be my grades, Instagram likes, or even how many views this article gets, that mindset makes it all about me. Especially as a writer, I have to keep my heart in check; I have to go back to the reason this whole writing thing started.

I started writing because it is what I love doing, but more specifically, I love writing about Jesus and the hope I have in Him. I wrote a Christian blog for almost a year before I started writing for Odyssey, and it was not a famous blog by any means; however, it did help people and show them that God cared for them.

When the opportunity to write on Odyssey presented itself, I knew it was so I could share the Gospel with a much bigger audience.

With my little blog, I didn't know how many views each post got, so honestly, I just never thought about it. If it was helping just one person, it was worth it to me. With Odyssey, I know how many views each post gets, and I can even see how many it gets each hour. I would be lying to you if I said I don't check those views sometimes to see what type of posts draw people in, but looking at it through that lens does not produce the type of results I desire to see.

The heart of my writing is that Jesus loves people and wants to save them; if I lose that vision, I lose my voice. It's that simple. Maybe you aren't a writer, but I know for a fact that God gave you a gift He wants you to use. Whatever that gift is, I encourage you to use it for the One who gave it to you. When God is in it, His blessing is on it, and when His blessing is on it, you will find success.

Even the Christian writer from Odyssey struggles with making things about herself instead of about God, and a big reason I wrote this article is to be transparent. I want my readers to know that I struggle too, I sin too, and I fail too. Please do not let these articles convince you that I have it all together or don't make mistakes. I want you to know I make mistakes, but it is the God I write about Who doesn't. If He can take a broken sinner like me and make her a Christian writer, then imagine what He can do with you.

Just give your life and all aspects of it to Jesus and watch Him make it all about Him. Trust me, it's the best when it's all about Him.