To My Little Sister, I'm So Proud Of You

“You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.” - Benjamin Mee

8523
Avery DePaola

To my little sister,

I'm sitting down at my computer trying to find the right words to write to you. I'm sadly at a loss for words because of the fact that there is no perfect way to sum up our 8 years of life together in about 500 words. It makes me sad to think about the fact that we will spend most of your life living under different roofs and in completely different stages of life, but I think that is what makes our relationship so unique.

You came into my life fast and with little warning, which I think is pretty characteristic of you. I know I'm supposed to be your big sister and your role model, but in all honesty, I learn a lot from you. I don't think that we could be more different, but I still see parts of myself in you. Don't ever lose that fiery personality of yours and your amazing, creative mind. The fact that you made me a shelf out of an Amazon box and hot glue for my birthday amazes me.

You love hard, and you are a very kind and compassionate soul to those you meet. You're going to do great things one day; I know that is for sure. Whether it be you spending the night in my dorm or cheering you on at your various sporting events, you keep my life interesting, and I know it would boring without you in it.

I'm very proud of you and miss you dearly when I'm away, but I am always here for you no matter what. I'm very excited to watch you grow up into a strong woman because our family is full of strong, resilient women we get the privilege to look up to, especially our mom (she is truly the best). If I have one piece of advice for you, it is to never let anyone, and I mean ANYONE, belittle you or make you think you are unworthy. I lost myself once, and it is one of my biggest regrets.

Play outside, be a kid, don't try to grow up too fast. One of my favorite quotes I'd like to share with you is a quote from Benjamin Mee from the movie We Bought A Zoo and it is, “You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”

I love you kiddo,

Your older sister