Little Person, Big Impact

Little Person, Big Impact

Sometimes the little people in your life have the biggest impact.

5
Little Person, Big Impact
Kathy Richmond

Sometimes all it takes in life is for one little human to enter the world to make you realize your purpose. I got lucky enough my sophomore year of high school for mine to enter the world. My life changed the day 8 pound, 9 ounce Aubree Lillian entered the world. I will remember the day forever, detail by detail. You never really realize how important life is until you have a little person look up to you. You try harder, you want to do better in life, and you want to be the perfect example for them.

Although I was very upset that she couldn’t have entered a few hours sooner so we could be birthday buddies, September 3, 2013, will forever have a huge impact on my heart. She screams, she cries, and she gets on my nerves, but "Aunt Kathy is my favorite," so that makes it all okay. I didn't realize that she was what I needed, to feel important, to feel positive, to feel like I was worth something. But to this day, everything I do is for that little girl to make sure she has a positive role model to look up to.

The moments where we bicker, scream, and yell back and forth mean more than they should sometimes, because I know right after that she'll be my best friend again. I miss the late nights where she would let me cuddle her, and believe it or not, the early Saturday mornings she woke me up by jumping on me. But, I guess to face reality, sometimes your little people do indeed have to grow up.

I'll always remember the times when I wish she would talk to me and tell me what the heck she wants already, because we won't ever get these times back. Truthfully, now she doesn't know how to stop blabbing out of her mouth. It's so great to watch her grow, from that small, sweet, innocent precious baby, to the loud, obnoxious toddler she is now.

I'm glad I got my person pretty early in life, because she has made me a better person. Going off to college truthfully sucked because I don't get to see my Aubs whenever I want. She's not two seconds down the street anymore. Now, it's a two hour and 45 minute drive home. The times are shorter, but the memories are more cherished.

I remember the times we jumped in the leaf pile in the front yard, and the time I let her play with the toilet paper roll, even after Mom yelled at me. I remember the time you said your first cuss word, and your mother definitely tried to tell me you said "apple juice." (Sorry Sis, but apple juice and the B word, are definitely two different things.) One time I will cherish forever is this past summer, it was the last couple weeks before I had to leave, and me and "grammy" came to pick you up. I got this brilliant idea at one point to give you frozen stickers, and let you have them in the car. After the short car ride, I noticed you'd decorated Aunt Kathy's car with your cute little stickers. I got a little annoyed, but then I got to thinking... That's Aub's spot, and when I miss her, she'll always be there. (They're still there today, along with the frozen snowflake on my steering wheel.)

Wherever you go in life, I know you're going to do great things. The sky is the limit baby girl, and you need to reach for it. Thanks for the countless memories, the Friday night hangouts, the early Saturday morning cuddles, the homecomings to prom, and most importantly, those big, big hugs you gave every time you knew I was down. Even though I hate popcorn, thanks for attempting to share that, too. Never give up, and always stay positive.

Love,

Aunt Kat