Be A Little More Kanye

Be A Little More Kanye

Yes, you read that correctly.

7
youtube

If there's one thing I've done a lot of at college, it's learn. Sounds pretty obvious, I know, but that learning far exceeded the walls of my history class. I've learned not to care what people think, not to spend six hours getting ready for a lecture at 8 a.m., and to believe in and trust myself. Peer and professors have helped me come to these conclusions, but the main influence on my newfound self-love is none other than, yes, the man, Kanye West.

I've always been a Kanye fan, and odds are if you're reading this, you have been as well. I bumped "Graduation" harder than any 11 year old should have, and the rest is history. However, since the rise of social media, Kanye's reputation has slowly fallen, especially after his historical Taylor Swift interruption. Over time, people who once considered themselves Kanye fans now disliked everything about him: his arrogant lyrics, his douche-like personality, and his odd sense of taste. But to all of the so called "fans," I have one question: is he really so bad? Yes I notice Kanye's antics, and some may be a little on the unlikable side, but honestly, he's one heck of a role model, especially for college students, and here's why:

1. He may be a little arrogant, but did some confidence ever hurt anyone?

As I'm becoming an actual working adult, I've noticed that confidence is key whether it's in the workplace, class, or in relationships. If you're confident in yourself, thoughts, and ideas, let me tell you, there's nothing you cannot accomplish, and at the end of the day, I'd rather be sure of myself and wrong than the other way around. However, I have noticed that professors are not a fan of being told that they "Should be honored by my lateness and that I would even show up to this fake shit," when i accidentally sleep through my alarm for class.

2. His fashion sense, though "homeless looking," is actually a genius idea.

Not everyone wants to wake up extra early just to make sure their eyeliner and hair are perfect, and honestly, the attire of the average college student consists of more T-shirts than "real clothes." Most people consider this a bum look, and resort to this when they didn't get enough sleep, are a teeny bit hungover, or just not in a solid state of health. But Kanye took this practical way of dressing and turned it into a high fashion clothing line—as in he is making money off of people dressing the way they always have, but turned it up just a little bit. The clothes are a little higher quality than the beloved comfort colors T-shirt, but still give off the relaxed vibe. If I had this kind of genius idea, oh the places I could go.

3. He is extremely versatile.

This is the man that could rap about life in the hood to prostitutes to fame to cockiness to a ballad about his daughter. Even outside of his music, Kanye seems to be able to do it all. He has his music career, his fashion career (I know you all want a pair of Yeezy's), his job as a father, his hilarious role on Twitter, and he even has time to keep up with the damn Kardashians. Personally, I'm impressed, but more importantly inspired. Good time management is a difficult quality to posses, and I applaud those who can do it well—so here's to you, Kanye