A Little List of Must-Reads

A Little List of Must-Reads

A few book recommendations for the avid reader.

9
A Little List of Must-Reads
sandhbooks

While I haven’t been reading much lately with finals coming up, here’s a non-exhaustive list of books that I've really enjoyed in the somewhat recent past, that you may find intriguing yourself.

1. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

My personal favorite book ever written, this chronicles the life of Toru Okada as he’s on the search to find his lost cat. Gradually, everything becomes less and less mundane, to the point that the notion of clairvoyant sisters, wells that can transport somebody to another dimension, daily conversations on death, endless omens, and random life-changing encounters seem commonplace, but intriguing at the same time. It’s a beautifully written, metaphysical mind-bender.

2. M Train by Patti Smith

I also love her book Just Kids, but I love M Train even more. It centers around the conception of art, and the unique ways that one can come to find inspiration and creativity. Holding cafes and the art of travel to a nearly-sacred level, this book will speak to anyone interested in the creative process, or hoping to foray into the chasms of what one of the greatest artists of our time holds dear.

3. The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

From poetry readings to climbing mountains, or raging parties to trembling solitude, The Dharma Bums is one of the best Kerouac books. If you’re interested in how to establish peace-of-mind, or are just looking for something adventurous to read, look no further.

4. The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles

Eerie, foreboding, and unsettling, The Sheltering Sky is a great read if you’re looking for some of the Moroccan culture-inspired writing of Bowles, and it may cause you to re-think the idea of traveling to places that aren’t necessarily welcoming. It covers three travelers and their slow descent into danger and destruction.

5. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Another Murakami novel, this one is very Kafka-esque in its writing and it speaks right to the heart. Relatable and relevant, this tells the tale of a teenage runaway who finds himself holed up in a library. Memories, the past, and the overwhelming future are covered in amazing ways in this book.