list of inspiring female-led movies

List Of Inspiring Female-Led Movies On Netflix You Need To Watch Now

*Cues "Run The World (Girls)" by Beyoncé*

23
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/frances-ha-and-the-pursuit-of-happiness

It's no doubt that gender equality in films has been immensely ignored for decades upon decades; however, in recent years, there has been an outstanding, recognized movement in the number of movies being created featuring an independent, female lead. For example, Netflix has made quite an advancement by adding films and television shows featuring remarkable woman leads, and I believe it's imperative that these films, overflowing with spontaneity, accidental love, tear-jerker endings, charismatic language, significant moments of unforeseeable growth, and most importantly, moments that continue tugging at your heart long after the closing credits have surpassed your screen, are vitally celebrated.

The reason I chose the eight films below is eminently due to their gravitating theme of providing women with more confidence, along with an emboldened voice, allowing them to speak up in times of inequality, as well as other challenges women face on a day-to-day basis. Also, what I admire most about these films is that the characters portrayed are nowhere near perfect, and they display such vulnerability in moments of deep struggle and confusion. They're all uniquely driven on different paths of discovery, and it's so comforting to be able to sympathize with them in times of gallant victories and heavyhearted downturns.

Obvious Child

Featuring the hilarious Jenny Slate, this romantic comedy confronts the topic of abortion as a comedian gets unexpectedly pregnant and is forced to acknowledge her growing independency as a young woman. Unquestionably, Slate will have you laughing AND crying as her character encounters intimidating hurdles and undeniable romance on her unconventional road to figuring out how brilliant, yet heart-rending life can truly be.

The Incredible Jessica James

Every time I watch this film, I feel overwhelmingly inspired, but also comforted because Jessica James is brightly independent, chasing after her dream of being a playwright, but she's definitely still figuring herself out. While struggling with the effects of a breakup, she meets Boone, who's equally grappling with his recent breakup, and they form an unlikely bond that takes their emotions for a spin. Jessica is feisty, fun, and unapologetically herself throughout the entire film, leaving you rooting for her as she tries to focus on her work and her sticky relationship with her ex-boyfriend and new-founded love, Boone.

Frances Ha

First off, Greta Gerwig is remarkable. This film displays such a strong sense of realness and simplicity, especially with the use of black-and-white. Frances is a young woman who willingly throws herself into every dream she pulls from her heart and doesn't back down when shown multiple signs of rejection. Her life in New York City is undoubtedly discouraging as she struggles to mend a close relationship with her best friend named Sophie, to find an apartment she is capable of calling her own, to become an actual dancer rather than an apprentice, and to live out her existence with graceful wit and joy. You'll be rooting for Frances until the end credits begin to roll.

Carrie Pilby

Carrie, a graduate of Harvard at the age of nineteen, is full of intelligence, but she is struggling with insecurity and human connection due to those in the past that have disheveled and bruised her individuality. With the help of her therapist, Carrie wittingly attempts to regain a sense of purpose and belonging in a world she had once thought was completely bitter. Throughout her journey, she must come overcome the pain of her father's absence in order to grow and to lean on those who love and appreciate her matchless personality.

Mona Lisa Smile

Set in the 1950s, Mona Lisa Smile focuses on the effect an open-minded art history professor has on a group of conservative Wellesley women and their outlook on life. Similar to the other films I have mentioned, this marvelous feat promotes the independency of women as Professor Watson challenges the young women of Wellesley to dig deeper into their the root of their dreams rather than giving in to the status quo of women in the 1950s. And, as always, Julia Roberts does not disappoint.

The New Romantic

I was definitely thrown for a loop when I first watched the trailer to this film. The plot is undeniably interesting, but what I enjoyed most about The New Romantic is how it showed the level of difficulty it takes to be a secure, independent female at a college-aged level. Blake, the main character, has given up on the guys her own age and ultimately gives up on finding someone to love by deciding to date an older man in exchange for gifts. However, on this strange adventure, she learns more about herself and what she truly wants out of life, and one of those things is to be loved.

The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants 1 & 2

When I found out Netflix added these two masterpieces, I literally screamed with joy. My eldest sister introduced me to these charming, sentimental films, and I will never stop gushing about how much adoration I hold for them. The first movie follows four best friends as they take off on different paths with a plan to stay connected by sharing a pair of magical pants. The girls find love, experience heartbreak, and learn more about each other than they could ever imagine, and they give all of the credit to the pants keeping them interconnected while miles apart. The second movie is set during the girls' college years and differs from the first because they soon figure out that it takes more than their magical pair of pants to keep them steadily connected as they travel down dissimilar paths.

The Edge Of Seventeen

I went to watch this film when it first released in theaters and have since watched it fifteen more times. This high school-based film brilliantly portrays a teenager going through the deep stages of anxiety and loneliness as Nadine, the main character, struggles to handle her best friend dating her older brother for whom she does not get along with. The movie is honest in the sense that Nadine is young and confused and doesn't know how to grapple with the emotional struggles in her life, and I think that anyone, whether in high school or not, can relate to the thoughts in Nadine's head persuading her that she doesn't fit in and doesn't have a purpose to fulfill in her life.