Life's Greatest Lesson: Friendship and Self-Love

Thank you to the one's who left and thank you to the one's that stayed.

29
Tessa Sulimowicz

Over the course of my life, I have learned so much. One area that I find myself constantly learning more from is friendship and the importance of having “my people;” the people who really get me. Sometimes I think we have a tendency, as humans, to get caught up in the popularity that comes from having a lot of friends or a group of people to surround yourself with. Throughout high school and even now, I have always struggled with feeling accepted within a group of friends and with feeling as though I belonged. I’ve been a part of many friend groups, if you will, but I have never felt like I truly fit in, like I truly belonged. Those friends came and they left and I finally learned to be alone and that it was okay to go home on a Saturday night just to watch Netflix or hang out with my parents instead of going out. I was doing fine with my people, my small amount of friends.

And then I met this amazing group of people, people that I fit in perfectly with. I realized that I didn’t need a huge group of friends, I just needed a small group. They would become the people that have been by my side through it all, my best friends.

By no means am I trying to sit here and dismiss the friendships that I formed before this group. I just learned, over the five or six months of being friends with them, that all I need is my five or six really close friends; the ones who came and never left. I found the good in the so-called bad, and I think the greatest part being that I learned to love myself, and became aware of my worth.

And let me tell you, ever since I have learned my worth, I refuse to let anyone treat me any less than I deserve. I think that’s the greatest lesson that I have learned from all of this.

So, I want to say thank you too all of the “friends” that left over the years. Thank you for showing me that I deserve better. Thank you for showing me what my friendship and loyalty is really worth. Thank you for forcing me to love myself and to be content with my own company. It’s the greatest gift you could have ever given me.

And a final thank you to the friends who have stuck by me through it all. You are the most amazing people I have ever known and I am so incredibly blessed to have you in my life. Thank you for always picking me up when I’m down and for always believing in me. I love you guys so much, you know who you are.

Xoxo,

Tess