10 Life Lessons From A Dog

10 Life Lessons From A Dog

Sometimes the best kind of teachers can be those who can't speak to us.

29
10 Life Lessons From A Dog
Joe DeBiasio

As a lifelong animal lover, I have always had a strong connection with all kinds of critters. I don't mind if they're scaly or furry, slimy or cold-blooded–I will love them all. I've had a menagerie of pets growing up that has consisted of three dogs, one cat, a turtle, countless fish, hermit crabs, mice and even a sparrow we rescued with a broken leg. My current dog, Asher, has touched my life in a way that no other animal has been able to do before. Perhaps it's because I'm older and I can recognize the lessons better now than I could before, and I've included a few below.

1. Your background does not define you.

Asher was a rescue pup who was taken from Kentucky with his mom and siblings. He was about three months old when we adopted him and from the beginning we knew he wasn't going to be the most friendly dog. What we pieced together was that he feared men, people who wore hoods or hats, he was very afraid of other dogs and he struggled to bark which led to the idea of a failed attempt to debark him. But no matter how he had been treated in the past, he was still willing to trust us and eventually love us. If he could become part of a family and unconditionally love us after the humans he knew before treated him so poorly, why shouldn't I be able to overlook the people who had done me wrong in the past?

2. Sometimes it's the simple things that are the most exciting.

For Asher, these simple things include snuggling on the couch, diving for rocks in the creek and finding little secret places off of the paths we walk. These little moments seem to make him the happiest and seeing that much joy in his eyes is one of the best feelings ever. Wandering through the paths that are less traveled has taught me to take in the beauty of these places and enjoy some peace and quiet in nature, even if it's only for a few minutes.

3. Your life doesn't always have to be on a strict timeline.

Human beings in today's world revolve around the idea of time and schedules. I'll be the first person to admit that my color coordinated day planner goes with me everywhere and that I feel lost without it if it's left behind. Animals don't have this worry–they only want to have food and attention. Stopping my whirlwind schedule for a few moments to snuggle with Asher or play fetch with him is enough to relax me. I am thankful for the breaks from reality that he makes me take, even if it means I run a little late sometimes.

4. Follow your gut, especially when it comes to trusting strangers.

Some people just give off a certain kind of vibe, and if you pick up on these vibes then definitely listen to them. Asher is always skittish of strangers because of his past; I won't act like this is a good thing all of the time, but it makes me think. When you first meet someone, you have no idea who they really are. You have to get to know them and decide it they're good enough to keep in your life or whether or not to kick them to the curb. I definitely should have taken this advice to heart much sooner and maybe paid more attention to who Asher did and did not approve of despite how long the people had stuck around.

5. Give others a chance; really get to know them.

With my last point, I explained that you need to get to know people and with that you also should keep in mind that some people you least expect are worth getting to know. Even though he's pretty anti-social, Asher still has a tight-knit circle of doggy friends and loved each one of my mice. I never would have expected him to be so gentle with my mice considering he's part terrier, and I never would have expected him to have so many doggy friends. He also has a strong bond with my dad and my boyfriend Joe. He has given men a second chance despite the scary past he had.

6. Showing someone you care is important.

When I have a bad day I can always count on Asher for comfort. He's taught me that something as simple as making them smile or listening to them rant can go a long way. Everyone needs to lean on someone during the rough times and I hope to be that person for someone.

7. Never turn your back on an old friend.

It doesn't matter how long I'm away from Asher, he always greets me with a tail-wag and his puppy smile. Although I swear he holds a grudge because I leave him for months to go to college, he always forgives me and we're inseparable during my breaks home. He's taught me that even if you lose touch with someone, you should never completely shut them out because there's a reason they were such an important part of your life to begin with.

8. Patience is necessary, even when you aren't extremely willing to give it.

Not every situation is comfortable, but patience is one of the most important qualities to have. It will allow you to work with more people (and animals, too) and experience many new things. You may have to deal with someone difficult who you may not get along with, but that's life! Patience will help you learn how to tolerate these people and maybe even get along with them.

9. Take risks and step out of your comfort zone.

Trying new things can be scary, but they can be rewarding too. You may just discover that you are good at something you never dreamed of trying. Explore the ends of your comfort zones and step outside them–you can bring a friend with you for some extra support too. Who knows, you may even discover you love to swim after taking a few paddles in the deep end.

10. Protect the things that mean the most to you.

If you love something, then prove it by keeping it safe and treating it like gold. Asher has always been protective of my family and me, and he does his best to make us feel safe. Although he's tiny and he often deems innocent things as dangerous, it's the thought that counts in my opinion. I notice myself speaking up when I see something as a threat towards the ones that I love, and I have my little furry friend to thank for this.

Every animal that has touched my life has taught me more than most humans can and I'm beyond thankful for what my dog Asher has taught me. I'm excited for many more years with him by my side and I can't wait to see what else we can teach each other.