Why you should get a bulldog

What Is Life Without a Bulldog By Your Side?

To have a bulldog is to have a life-long friend.

102
Haley Zmuda

They may not be the most active animal or the cutest, but after owning a bulldog for a year now, there's no other dog I would rather have in my life. Here are six reasons why bulldogs are the best dogs.

They’re ugly but cute

Palmer laying in the sun

Haley Zmuda

This year's ugliest dog winner was a bulldog named Zsa Zsa. But underneath all the wrinkles and slobber is a teddy bear of a dog. The saying “they are so ugly they're cute" is an actual thing. Wrinkles, slobber and drool are all traits that suddenly turn adorable after owning a bulldog. You can't be mad when you get thrown into a pile of little bulldog puppies and they crawl all over you. It's cute!

They’re stupid but brilliant

Haley Zmuda

Dog intellegence is based off how easy a dog is trained; bulldogs are nowhere near the top of the charts. A bulldog's dopey behavior and stubborness lead to them needing to be told what to do multiple times before they actually do it. For example, my bulldog has learned many tricks through a routine: “sit, shake, lay down, roll over, treat." He also knows “spin," but for some reason can only spin counterclockwise, not the other way around.

They’re timid but fearless

Haley Zmuda

The breed has the word “bull" in it, so you would think these dogs would have strong courage and all, but when it comes to my bully, he can't go near plastic bags and plants; it's like they're the most deathly thing around. So yes, bulldogs are scared of basically everything, but they are also the most outgoing dogs I've met also. They can walk up to any dog and instantly try to befriend it. No fear in friendship.

They’re lazy but energetic

Palmer bundled up

Haley Zmuda

It seems like bulldogs sleep about 85 percent of the day; they're snoring up a storm and drooling all over the place. However, in the 15 percent of time they are awake, they are the funniest and most active dogs ever. Many bulldog owners talk about “zoomies" and they're the real deal. In a short span of time, they go crazy with energy, mostly during the late evenings when all you want to do is chill out.

They’re a man’s best friend but also a woman’s

Haley Zmuda

Bulldogs get along with anyone and everyone. They're big teddy bears who are great with single people, married couples, kids, teenagers, pets etc. All they want to do is play and bring joy to the people/animals they love.

They’re a lot to handle but it's so worth it

Haley Zmuda

With great power comes great responsibility. The only thing low maintenance about this dog is the exercise level. Bulldogs have a ton of health issues that come along with them. My dog is allergic to chicken so we have to buy lamb and pork products, has trouble breathing and has irritated skin inbetween his wrinkles that you have to clean out fairly often. But all of these issues are so worth the experience of having a bulldog. They promise to make you smile and laugh everyday, endlessly love you and others and will surprise you constantly with new things and experiences. They are the absolute best breed to own in any situation (unless you like running and hiking, then keep them in the house).