Life As Told By My Roommate

Life As Told By My Roommate

What it's like to live with a comedian.

23
Life As Told By My Roommate
Olivia Fords Photos

This year I was blessed with an absolutely wonderful roommate, Eryn. I wanted to be her roommate one year ago and finally got the opportunity this past September. Her sense of humor has brightened numerous days for not only myself, but others who are lucky enough to have her in their lives. I never know what to expect to come out of her mouth, but it always has me laughing. I thought I would spread the joy.

1. "Victor Frankenstein was the original emo kid."

When discussing what we had for homework one night, she told me she had to read Frankenstein. She mentioned that she was surprised that this was written during the romantic time era. As someone who has never read Frankenstein and am only familiar with it from bits of the movie I had seen, I was a bit confused. She went on about how it is unlike most books written in this time period, a period of nature, human-connection, and imagination. She did clarify that this novel did portray a lot of aspects of romanticism, but it also talked about how depressed Victor Frankenstein was throughout the 280 pages. So a very tired Eryn declared that "Victor Frankenstein was the original emo kid." Many of our friends seem to agree with her.

2. "Thur-mom-er-stater"

After class one evening, we went to the campus snack bar for dinner. We met up with her old roommate and friend. While talking about our current roommate situation they decided to break out into Southern accents. Reminiscing on old times when they were roommates and "it was as hot as a Southern summer." Eryn then mentioned how they should turn down the thermostat, she instead decided that she needed to turn down the "Thur-mom-er-stater." Since this incident whenever she talks about it she refers to it as a thermometer and not a thermostat.

3. "ROAR, I can now truly embrace my lioness!"

A few months ago Eryn and I found out our Spirit Animals, hers was a lion. We were shocked because we thought a lion was an aggressive animal and Eryn is anything but aggressive. This is not fully what a lion totem means. It means having courage and wisdom. Two traits Eryn possess. The actual story that goes with this quote was Eryn waking up with crazy hair, it looked very similar to a lions mane. She decided she would lay back down and while doing so she yelled. "Roar! I can truly embrace my lioness." One of my favorite quotes.

4. *Sings* "Hell-elujah!"

After sitting at her desk focusing on homework which was due the next morning, she got up and looked at me. Her face glowed with accomplishment. I asked if she finished her homework and she said "yes. It was hell." She proceeded to sing Hallelujah which later turned into Hell-elujah.

5. "Every villain is cotton..."

I found a thing of cotton on my friends floor, and then I started to just fiddle with it. Once they found out what I was playing with, they were creeped out. Something I was very confused about. It seemed as though all four of the people in the room hate the feeling of cotton balls. Eryn hated it so much that she decided that not only is cotton a villain, every villain is cotton.

6. "I am way too passionate about the Food Network for someone my age."

Lunch time always brings out the best in Eryn. We were talking about the food we were eating. She had mentioned she would love a T.V. show where famous chefs come to college campuses and judge the food. Then she went on and told me her favorite and least favorite chefs. Describing their personalities and food. Her passion was very noticeable.

7. "#makeelevatorshomey2k16"

Heading back up to our dorm room, Eryn mentioned how the dorm building elevator is very uncomfortable. I had mentioned how I remember a T.V. show where the main characters closet was an elevator. We talked about how a lot of people do not like elevators or how some are even afraid of them. She wanted them to be more comfortably. She then decided it was an important movement that she would like to be a part of.

8. "I will become the best bucket of them all, a trashcan."

An evening walk led to a conversation about buckets and how you could reuse them. We were walking in pairs with Eryn in the back and suddenly I heard, "I will become the best bucket of them all, a trashcan." She said this with such passion and enthusiasm.

9. "I get two leave-the-chairs."

Break. The word she was looking for was BREAK. Granted that wouldn't have been as funny. She needed to finish an essay and decided she was going to glue herself to the chair and give herself two breaks. But because she had just said chair, break came out as, "leave-the-chairs."

10. "I started a line, I am so ashamed."

In a crowded lunch room during rush hour, Eryn wanted a drink. She was gone for awhile and I began to worry. She eventually came back with a concerned look on her face. She proceeded to tell me that she wanted water, and they were refilling it. She was waiting patiently and then a line started to form. Once she got her water she realized she was the only one in line for that and all the other people wanted the infused stuff. She felt so bad, she started a line and was ashamed.

I room with an amazing and funny girl. She always makes me laugh with the unexpected and quirky comments she makes throughout the day.