Then Vs. Now

Then Vs. Now

I wish I appreciated naps more.

304
Then Vs. Now
az616578.vo.msecnd.net

As kids we remember times with certain attitudes. Some of these topics are more lighthearted and childish, some are intense and scary. I get it, at some point you have to grow up but I'm sure I am not the only one who wishes they could be a kid again in some moments. Bring on the nostalgia.

1. Naps

Then: I hated naps in kindergarten and first grade. HATED THEM. I remember always complaining that my teachers forced us to lay on our little mattresses for half an hour. Seriously, how could they expect me to just fall asleep on the spot at a random time of the day?

Now: WHY DON'T THEY HAVE NAP TIME DURING CLASSES. I think every high school kid wanted a class period that was nap time. I'm currently a sophomore in college and just the other day I suggested we have at least a 15 minute nap time during every class. I honestly am very upset with myself that I didn't appreciate nap time when I was a kid.

2. Image/Appearance

Then: I cared but not nearly as much as I do now. I feel like when I started growing up more and went into middle school, appearance became an important part and this is when judging started to happen. I wish it didn't.

Now: I still care. This is an aspect of my life that I wish wasn't so important to me and it's something I'm working on, but deep down I think it'll always be there in some small form.

3. One Direction

Then: Back in 2012 they were those cute boys singing about how I light up their world like nobody else.

Now: WELL HELLO THERE. Let's talk about glow UP. The past five years of watching these guys have truly blessed me. I would like to personally thank god for blessing me with these guys.

4. Friendships

Then: Friendships before like 4th grade were so simple. You were friends with everyone. It didn't matter about your gender, hobbies, or appearance. Everyone got along because we didn't judge, we didn't know how to. Sometimes I miss this.

Now: These days, I have a small group of people I consider good friends and the rest are acquaintances or kind-of friends. In a way it's nice because I know that the friends I do have, I trust with my life. In other ways, I wish we didn't learn how to judge, maybe it'd make friendships better.

5. School

Then: Oh my god, I used to complain in fifth grade about how hard math was and how I couldn't imagine it getting any worse. Boy was I WRONG.

Now: The one good thing about college is that I can pick my schedule and don't have to sit in a desk for 7 hours a day. The bad thing about college? My 10 year old self couldn't predict how hard and how much work it would be, but at least I enjoy learning in my classes (for the most part).

6. Disney Channel

Then: Hannah Montana, The Sweet Life of Zack & Cody, That So Raven. Wizards of Waverly Place, need I say anything else? Don't even get me started on when they combined them all into one show I literally flipped. The era of Disney Channel while I was growing up was the best, don't fight me on this.

Now: I don't watch Disney Channel anymore so that should say all you need to know. I might be bias and I'm sure there are some OK shows but I will still say I had Disney during the best time.

7. Toys

Then: Polly pockets, my little pony, cars, barbie dolls, honestly toys were so much fun as a kid and they passed time by really well.

Now: Honestly electronics are now my form of toy. My iPhone? Toy. My laptop? Toy! Apps are now the new toys, though if anyone asked me to play a board game I would jump at the chance to play it.

8. Summer

Then: Literally had no responsibilities during summer and it was such a blessing. I'd spend the whole day hanging out with friends or swimming and didn't have to worry about anything.

Now: OK so I still get a summer break but instead of having class I work all day, talk about fun. Obviously I need to make money somehow but that doesn't mean I don't sometimes wish I had all of the free time in the world. I dread becoming an adult because that means no summer break at all *gasp*.

I always look back at my childhood and am filled with nostalgia. I sometimes find myself wishing it could be as easy as it was back then and that things should just go back to the way they are. But, sitting here thinking about I realize that I can still have moments of childish acts and I can act goofy. Becoming an "adult" has allowed me to do a lot of incredible, fun, spontaneous things that have given me that feeling of being a kid again. Make sure you do some of those too.