If You Feel Like You Have Not Found Your Place In This World.

If You Have Not Found Your Place In This World, You Need To Change Your Perspective

"Above all, you will grow."

48
https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-a-woman-standing-inside-bus-808700/

I always referred to myself as the terminal odd man out. It wasn't that I was unlikeable, rather that I was just there. I never had a huge group of friends or any obvious talent, my grades were average and I was not turning heads when I walked by. For years I questioned what I was even good at.

I remember a time in particular when I was sixteen at a high school cast party, my friends were mingling and I stood in the corner clutching a Diet Coke. To flustered to eat and too exhausted to speak I quietly slipped away. I made my way out the side door and walked to the end of the street, I looked over my shoulder to assure no one was watching and I called my Dad and went home. I promised myself that no one cared, and I was right.

Years later, I realized that no one cared, because no one noticed and that had nothing to do with me. What did have to do with me was the fact that I lacked self-confidence. I didn't try to talk to anyone, I just assumed that no one wanted to talk to me.

Instead of thinking "I'm not good enough", I constantly remind myself that every moment matter, but not every title matters. I may not be everyone's best friend, but at least I'm someone's friend. I wasn't a star athlete, but at least I was a part of the athletic department (I still won't call myself an athlete).

With age, I realized that I do not need a huge group of friends, a trophy on my cluttered chest of drawers, or sweet memories to look back on. All I need is to be proud of who I am and how far I have come.

To the person who feels like they haven't quite found their place in the world: your place is exactly where you are, but it isn't stagnant. You will move forward, fail, recover, amaze yourself, infuriate the people around you, change your mind a thousand times, and laugh at yourself daily, but above all, you will grow.