Life Observations At Eighteen

Life Observations At Eighteen

Some things that eighteen years of life have taught me.

16
Life Observations At Eighteen
Taylor Horton

1. Life isn't fair.

Sometimes you'll spend several days working on a paper and only receive a C when your friend wrote theirs in an hour and got an A. Welcome to life.

2. Racism is a real problem in America.

Race is something that no one really wants to talk about. Some claim to not be racist, yet praise themselves for treating other races equally. In that case, if you must praise yourself, you are not in fact treating them equally. This is a big problem in America that seems to be swept under the mat because no one wants to accept the harsh truth that it exists.

3. You can't say or do anything without offending someone.

No matter what you do or say, someone will be offended. Just let it be, you can't please everyone.

4. Verbal communication is lacking.

We live in the era of smartphones, which creates a big problem in the social aspect of human life. We say things behind a screen that we could not say to another face. We can talk for hours online with someone, only to be at a loss for words when meeting in person.

5. Not everyone has the same heart as you do.

Refer to number one, but this one is a harsh truth. Most of the time, you have to learn the hard way.

6. There ARE good people left in the world.

In the age of killer clowns hiding in the woods, terrorist attacks, rape, and murder, it's hard to believe that there is anyone with good morals left. The answer is yes; we may just need to look a little harder than we should have to.

7. Increasing the level of your voice does not increase the validity of your argument.

Seriously, get it in your brain, America.

8. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

This is something I've had to remind many people of, including myself. Don't be so hard on yourself. We're all human.

9. Every human deserves to be treated like a human.

White, Black, Asian, Mexican, straight, lesbian, gay, bi, handicapped, deaf, blind. Everyone.

10. Why do we test on innocent animals when there are plenty of rapists and murderers in jail?

Not much to be said for this one, it is what it is. (oops, I bet I offended someone with this one- i.e. #3)

11. Sometimes life does't go as planned.

That's the beauty of it though. Trust me, there are a lot of things that don't go as planned, but will end up even better. I am very grateful for many things that the universe didn't do the way I originally begged it to.