Life-Lessons We've Learned From "Forrest Gump"

Who knew Forrest could teach us so many things about life?
122

"Forrest Gump" is a movie about a slow-witted man who goes through a lot of adventures in his life, even finding love along the way. It's a classic that we've all watched at least once in our lives. Aside from winning six Academy Awards, three Golden Globes, and two People's Choice Awards, "Forrest Gump" taught us a lot of life lessons in just a two and a half hour run time.

1. "Life is like a box of chocolates."

You never know what you're going to get. Forrest repeats this throughout the movie, and other than it being one of the most quoted lines, it has meaning behind it. Throughout Forrest's journey he faces a lot of obstacles, most of which were out of nowhere. However, he overcomes them with a smile on his face. This is a message that life will throw you curve balls, and at first you may not think you can face them, but in the end everything will work out.

2. Do what you love.

Forrest had more money than he could count when he decided to start mowing grass ... for free. He didn't do it for money or for credit, he did it because he truly enjoyed doing it. That's what everyone should do. Whether you want to mow grass, be a shrimp boat captain, or become a professional ping pong player, just do whatever makes you happy. Your life will be much more enjoyable if you choose to do what you love.

3. Don't take friends for granted.

Good friends are hard to come by, so once you find a friend that respects and cares for you, don't take them for granted. You never know when the last time you could see them is. Forrest and Bubba were best friends for a short time before Bubba lost his life in the war. The next day is never promised for anyone, so cherish your every moment you have with the people in your life.

4. Don't be afraid to try new things.

You'll never know what you're good at or what you'll enjoy unless you try it. Forrest played ping pong for the first time when he was in the Army, and ended up playing on the All-American Ping Pong Team for the championship in China. Don't be afraid to try something you've never done before. Who knows, you could become the next champion on the All-American Ping Pong Team.

5. Family comes first.

The people in your family are the most important people in your life. Forrest's mom was there for him throughout everything, and as she got older, Forrest was there for her. Much like not taking your friends for granted, you should never take your family for granted. Your family are the ones who will always be there for you no matter what.

6. Don't be afraid to love.

Love is a scary concept. You never know who you will end up with. However, as proven by Forrest, love is worth it. Forrest chased the same girl his entire life -- and in the end, he got her. The point is, love is worth the wait. Don't settle for anything or anyone because in the end, you will be with who you are supposed to be with. Time is everything.

7. Always do the right thing.

After the war in Vietnam, Lieutenant Dan didn't want to go on with life because he lost his legs. However, Forrest wouldn't let him give up. Forrest was there for Lieutenant Dan through the whole movie, and eventually Lieutenant Dan got better mentally and got married and settled down. Even though Forrest went against Lieutenant Dan's wishes, it was worth it in the end. So when life throws obstacles at you, you should always do the right thing, no matter how hard it is at the time.

8. It will all be worth it in the end.

Life isn't easy. No one's is. Sometimes you will think there's no point in going on, like life is too hard for you, but you have to keep going. Everything will all work out. Forrest's life worked out, and so can yours.

When watching "Forrest Gump," you may not have noticed all of the life lessons that it has. The movie is a comedy/love story/family movie all in one. "Forrest Gump" is a movie that will always be a favorite.