Life Is A Gift

Life Is A Gift

It is just waiting to be unwrapped.

162
Life Is A Gift
Erin Curley

We often forget that life can be taken from us in a blink of an eye. We constantly go through the motions forgetting life can be taken from us instantly. Now, don't get me wrong it isn't healthy to constantly be in fear of death, but at the same time once you are faced with that possibility it shocks you into reality. It completely shakes your world, and you are left with the question why me?

I just recently had this moment, of holy crap things could have gotten a lot worse for me, but thankfully they didn't. Now I am left with the constant question of how was I so lucky? And in the end all I can come up with is because it just wasn't my time yet. But still even then, it is hard to understand why this all happened. I keep asking myself what could I have done to prevent it, and the answer is I couldn't. That is the hardest part to grasp. Regardless of what I tried to do to make sure I didn't get in an accident, it still happened. That is why it is called an accident. The thing is that "accident" could have cost me my life, and I can't seem to wrap that concept around my finger. My life flashed in front of my eyes as I saw that navy blue GMC and silver Toyota coming at my face. But despite my fear, they didn't hit me, and I sat in my car okay, high on adrenaline, not understanding how. The moral of the story is I am here though, and that is the most important part.

We are all handed a glass box at birth. Sometimes your glass box will crack and scratch. My glass box cracked in that moment. I was reminded how easily my box and life could have been shattered in that very moment. I was able to walk out of that crash without a scratch, but it did have a bigger impact on my that I never would be prepared for. That is even at 19 years old, I am not invincible. I have spent my life looking at others saying, oh that will never happen to me. Those things only happen to other people. At the time I was like sorry time out but, that isn't allowed to happen to me. Then it did, and it changed my perspective going forward.

Life is precious, and we are only given one. So, go out there and make the best of it. Hold your hugs for a little longer, make sure to pick up the phone when a loved one calls, plan that adventure you always wanted to go on, and say your I love yous. Live everyday okay with knowing that it could possibly be your last. Don't continue to go through the motions because that's when life will sneak up on you the most. Live knowing today is a gift, and tomorrow isn't promised. Wake up taking a breathe knowing you have been delivered a gift. So, make sure to unwrap the present.