Life Advice From My Great Grandmother

Life Advice From My Great Grandmother

She has no idea how much she inspires me.

30
Life Advice From My Great Grandmother
courtesy of the author

I’m lucky enough to still have my great grandmother to turn to. I love going to her house and sitting and chatting with her. We talk about all different kinds of things. Some visits, we talk all about what’s going on with me and my life. Other times, we get on interesting topics and she tells me stories from her childhood or when she still had little ones running around her house. The stories are some of my favorites because she tells them like they were just yesterday. I love listening to her talk, as she looks off into the distance remembering things that must seem like a lifetime ago.

During our most recent visit, we were talking about one of her friends who was currently dealing with an illness. She started to say “I’m so worried,” but stopped herself midway into the word “worried.” Then she stopped, looked at me, and said, “I’m not worried. I try to never use words like worried.” When I asked her why she doesn’t use words like that, she went on to explain to me that worrying doesn’t help any situation. “God has a plan, and worrying about his plan just doesn’t make any sense,” she said.

She continued to explain to me that she has tried to teach herself to stop worrying because she knows in her heart that it doesn’t make any sense. She made sure to add that no one is perfect, so she still struggles with this frequently, but she is trying hard to break the habit of worrying. As she went on, I started to realize that this was some great advice. Worrying about something will not change the situation. It will only create unnecessary stress in our lives. God has a plan for us, and even though we may not always understand why he does what he does, we have to learn to trust in him. I struggle with this a lot. Anxiety and worry weigh heavy on me at times, but this conversation made me want to try harder to stop this.

She also went on to explain to me that she does not say “good luck” anymore, either. She told me that she tries to say “God bless” or “I’ll be praying for you” instead. She said that she knows there is no such thing as “luck.” I am so lucky to have had a conversation like this with her. She probably doesn’t even realize how much of an impact this conversation had on me. It wasn’t until I was driving home from her house that I truly realized how valuable and inspiring this conversation was. I wouldn’t trade moments like these for the world. They help shape me into the woman that I’m becoming. I try to be the best that I can be every day, but I hope that someday, I can have the same kind, caring, Godly heart as her.