Life Advice From My Dad

Life Advice From My Dad

The best advice I've received from dear, old dad.

10
Life Advice From My Dad
Emalee Fox

Since I was a little girl, my dad has always been the pinnacle of wisdom in my eyes. No matter my question, whether it be about my car problems, a college algebra problem, or a presidential candidate- my dad always has the answer. As an adult, I only appreciate his wisdom and life experience even more. Over the years he has shared so much quality life advice with me; so, today, I decided to compile a list of my top "Dad Mottos".

1. Never buy a car new.

My dad is a bit of an expert on cars, and I learned a lot when we bought my first car together. Buying a used car saves you so much money, but be sure that you always do your research before buying. If you can pay cash for it- do it.

2. Don't get a credit card in college.

Credit cards for college students are a recipe for disaster. You'll use money you don't have and end up in debt. Stick with a debit card, until you have the career to support your credit card.

3. Hard work pays off.

Those who work hard in life will reap the benefits of their labor. My dad is the hardest working guy I know. He gets up at 4:30 a.m. each day, so that he can commute an hour to work, and be at his desk by seven. He works hard all week and then spends his weekends mowing, doing house projects, and taking my little brother to football practice. He always goes the extra mile, and you will never hear him complain.

4. Honesty is always the best policy.

My dad instilled this in all of his kids at a young age, and it is something that has left a big impact on me. He always told us that the truth will always come out and that we can't run away from our lies. Even when it's hard, always tell the truth. I now hold honesty as the most important quality in my relationships, and I credit that all to my dear dad.

5. Really know what a political candidate stands for before you vote for them.

Don't be so quick to follow someone, just because they sound good. Always do your research, and find out what they really stand for. I've had some of the best conversations with my dad over politics, because he always reads up on every candidate, so he can know their history and platform on every issue. He taught me that just because someone says something doesn't mean they're going to follow through with it. My dad showed me that we should be critical of political candidates, because we want only the best people running our government.

6. Always let someone know if you're going to be out late.

I used to find this rule annoying, but now I've come to realize that, once again, father knows best. If I'm going to be out past ten, my dad expects a text. I love that he cares so much to check up on me. I also feel safer knowing that if something goes wrong, he knows where I am.

7. Don't miss family dinners.

I was raised knowing that family dinners were a must, and it's something that I will instill in my kids someday. I love that, even though I'm in college, I still sit down with my family every night and share a home cooked meal. We talk about our day, about current events, and things that are happening in our lives. Family dinners are how we stay connected, and I'm glad that my dad has always placed such value in them.

8. Study, study, and study some more.

I'm convinced that this is one of my dad's favorite quotes in life, because I heard this so many times in high school. When I would complain about not doing well in a class, he would always ask me how much time I was putting towards studying for it. Whatever my answer, he would always tell me I could do more. Like always, he was right. My dad knows that studying is the key to academic success, and you can never study too much.

9. Be careful to not overshare on social media.

As a business man, my dad taught me that all of your future employers will check your social media, and, if they don't like what they see, they won't hire you. He knows this because he's seen it happen time and time again. He's always quick to remind me that even what I think is private, can easily be public; so, never get too comfortable on your social media. Keep it classy, not trashy.

10. Dave Ramsey knows best.

In high school, I took finance classes through Dave Ramsey, because my dad believes that knowledge is power. Once again, he was right. My dad has an incredibly vast knowledge on finances, and he knows that Dave Ramsey will set you up for financial success. He already has the curriculum for me to take the adult course once I finish college, and I know that, once again, I will be thanking him.

11. Family is everything.

My dad is the biggest family man. He always gives 100% in every area, and I attribute that to his strong values. My dad has never been too busy for his family. He was always at every soccer game, every ballet performance, and every piano recital. He's always home for family dinners, and he's always there to talk. He always says, "Blood runs thicker than water, and your family is yours for life."