Letting New Doors Open

Letting New Doors Open

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

14
Letting New Doors Open
Shannon Steffen

As a junior in college, I am constantly double checking and then triple checking my resume. I spend an above-average amount of time writing in my planner and crossing off every small task that I have to remind myself several times of throughout the day. I wouldn't have my life any other way. As part of this habit and routine that I have started to become used to, I have been holding onto my position as editor in chief of Odyssey at Washington State as if my future depends on it.

I feel like I almost can't remember the last time my calendar didn't have a task labeled "Odyssey article" or "Odyssey edits" or "Odyssey post" or really anything else "Odyssey". I love feeling like I am doing everything I possibly can to experience different challenges and commitments. I love pushing myself and I crave the leadership responsibility of feeling like I can help and guide others. This is exactly what this position has given me.

As editor in chief of the Washington State University Odyssey for the last seven months, I have happily given my passion and enthusiasm into making this community as strong as it can be. I have met over 40 students on campus and worked with them to learn about what they are passionate about, what fears they have, what makes them think and what makes them dream. I have learned so much about the diversity of life and opinions that are available on my campus that I would not have been exposed to without this platform.

I have gotten to know friends and sorority sisters of mine on a deeper level by reading the content they produce for Odyssey each week and I have been exposed to topics I would have never considered without their organized thoughts that eventually become their published articles. I have learned the power and positivity that comes from just complimenting another's hard work and what it means to keep an open mind and heart to other peoples' opinions.

While I have loved having this position be such a large role in my life, as I have taken on other responsibilities on campus and in my personal life, I have learned that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. When I, or anyone else, feels like they have become involved in so many things that they can only give half of their whole to any of those positions, it is time to get over the fear of not having a full enough resume and do what is truly best for the quality of your responsibilities as well as the quality of your day to day life.

I am sure a piece of my days and my weeks will be missing when this position is eventually written in someone else's planner, but the best part about giving your all in anything is you know you left as well you intended to in the first place. I am beyond proud of the community at Washington State's Odyssey, and I look forward to watching it grow as I know it will.