​A Letter To My Younger Sibling Who Is Going Away To College

My advice to you.

22
The Huffington Post

Hello, my friend. We’ve been together a while. Your whole life, actually. I don’t remember much of a life without you, and you’ve never known life without me. Things changed when I left for college, with you becoming a temporary only child, but that didn't stop you from living life the way you wanted to. And now, you’re going off to college yourself.

Having been in college for a little while I have learned some things I would like to share with you. I know you don’t like it when I boss you around or tell you what to do, so let’s think of it as “friendly advice.”

The beauty of college is that you now get to have the freedom to be whoever you want to be, and grow from who you once were. Don’t pretend to be someone you're not because it’s not worth it and you aren't going to move on if you stay stuck in the past. Don’t stay the same person you were in high school. If there’s ever a time to figure out who you are and who you're becoming, what you're good at and discover new things you like, it’s NOW.

At times, you’re gonna feel scared and it’s going to be lonely. But these are the times that make you a stronger person and the times that lead you to new people who you can build lasting relationships with. Don’t underestimate the dorm gathering for “waffle wednesday” in the common room because who doesn't LOVE free waffles and meeting new people? You may just build a lasting bond of eternal friendship over your mutual love for mixing nutella with peanut butter and sprinkles.

Don’t be afraid to try something new. Trust in others, but stay safe. You can’t experience college from a dorm room, there’s a whole world of experiences out there to explore and many new friends to get to know. Make sure you find some people you think you can trust to look out for you, and trust your gut in situations you feel aren't right because you were smart enough to make it here, and you’re smart enough to know when something doesn't feel right.

Save some money, but spend some too. It’s all about balance. This is a short and rare time in your life when you might be lucky enough to not have to worry about paying many bills, and you should take advantage of it. If you are paying your own bills, still set aside some funds for fun because in the future you’re going to remember a weekend getaway with your best friends or a legendary spring break with a sweetheart than one of hundreds of rent payments.

Lastly: Don’t grow up too fast. Don’t rush growing up any faster than you have to. Sooner or later we all have to be real adults… but for now enjoy the crappy dining hall food, the bunk bed sleepovers, and the late night talks in the common room over Taco Bell after going out to a frat party. You can’t go back (you might not want to, sorry dining hall food) but you can appreciate all the special moments as they come and be able to look back on them knowing you're in a better place now because you worked hard and put yourself out there to make it as a maturing person in the world.

Don’t be afraid to call me and ask for more advice. I pretend I know what I’m doing, but really I have no idea. Either way I’ll always pick up when you call (unless I’m busy mixing nutella with peanut butter or I’m … eating taco bell after a frat party in which case I’ll call you back ASAP!). Anyways, good luck with college. I know you're going to do great.